flyinmedic

Do most dropzones allow solo cesna jumps?

I just moved to Pittsburgh. I used to jump at Skys the Limit (open 7 days a week). Now I jump at Skydive PA (only jumped once:(). The Problem that im having is that i cant get there on the weekends cuz i work then. and Monday (when I can jump) they are closed. So my question to all of you: Are most dropzones willing to do a solo flight for one fun jumper? or am i just wishing? I just hope something works out cuz this is really killing me!

Blue Skies,

Herschel

So my question to all of you: Are most dropzones willing to do a solo flight for one fun jumper? or am i just wishing? I just hope something works out cuz this is really killing me!

I think they would, but only if you cover the minimum number of slots needed for the plane.
I think at our dz (Byron) that's three people / slots, so if you show up with three tickets, they'll fly for you.

They wouldn't pull it out of the hangar if you were the only jumper on the dz though I think..

Most have min load limits. Cessnas are usually 2-3 depending on the DZ's cost to operate the plane. I've been to a DZ that gave up the extra slots to staff for a reward, but still required 2 paying jumpers to even think about getting the plane out.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Talk to the DZ and see how many they need. If its just you, you might talk to them about "renting on the tach". Some DZ's will do this and basically you pay them their costs and profit for an hour, and you get to use the plane as much as possible during that time. It is a cheap way for you and a friend to do hop and pops if you have two rigs. You can jump from 3, land, grab rig two as the plane is landing get back to 3000, jump and land and only have used the plane for 20-30 minutes. Take 20 minutes to pack up and do it again.

Too bad by the tach costs can be expensive too.

Yep, doing solos can be expensive if you are the only one on the plane.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I just moved to Pittsburgh. I used to jump at Skys the Limit (open 7 days a week). Now I jump at Skydive PA (only jumped once:(). The Problem that im having is that i cant get there on the weekends cuz i work then. and Monday (when I can jump) they are closed. So my question to all of you: Are most dropzones willing to do a solo flight for one fun jumper? or am i just wishing? I just hope something works out cuz this is really killing me!

Blue Skies,

Herschel

I once paid $64 to use a DZ's C-182 to fly 30 miles out along the beach so I could jump alone and land in front of the beach-side cabin my whole family were staying on vacation. Heck of a deal too for a one-time thing. This was in 1997 I think.

I don't think anybody is going to jump alone on a regular basis and be able to afford it, unless they're a millionaire and have money to burn...

Blue Skies
Billy
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I once paid $64 to use a DZ's C-182 to fly 30 miles out along the beach so I could jump alone and land in front of the beach-side cabin my whole family were staying on vacation...
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Wow, the memories... Back in 1991 I was in Georgia a few months (newly married and underemployed) and had made a few dives at the Ellijay DZ. One day I went to the DZ intending to make one jump & return home. Surprise - they were having a DC-3 boogie & state record attempts. Okay, nobody to jump with, but I'll take my first DC-3 dive. What - a registration fee?! Okay... Then they started talking about dropping me off at 12,000' while they all went to 15,000'. I protested, saying I was paying $28 for this jump. They let me follow them out after I assured them I'd give them a decent head start.

Oops - the pilot didn't know about my solo, and began banking to the right after the big-way's exit. No problem. What a nice dive.

Cheers,
Jon S.

Skydive Monroe once took me by myself and Skydive Walterboro took me and another guy up but that is the exception. I wouldn't expect them to do it on a regular basis and thought that it was way cool for them to do that just because I had driven so far.
I am not the man. But the man knows my name...and he's worried

most of the dropzones i've been to you need atleast 3 in the plane before it thinks about going and then only if there is 2 or 3 loads waiting:(

Skydive PA is a cool dropzone. I jump at Beaver Valley Skydivers and know they jump on Wednesdays mostly from 3600 feet. You may want to check it out. Since I work and live 2 hours away I've never been there on that day.

--Art
Sky-div'ing (ski'div'ing) n. A modern sport that involves parties, bragging, sexual excesses, the imbibing of large quantities of beer, and, on rare occasions, parachuting from aircraft.