Lucie813

Planning my second tandem

I did my first tandem, student jumps and all my jumps so far at the same DZ. I will only venture out this weekend to a different DZ for a boogie. I am comfortable staying at the same DZ, but that's just me.

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing ~ Helen Keller

just curious, why the second tandem. Why not give aff a go, or at least do stage one. it's about the same cost isn't it?
-----------------------------------------------------------
--+ There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.. --+

just curious, why the second tandem. Why not give aff a go, or at least do stage one. it's about the same cost isn't it?

Yeah, forget the second tandem...start your AFF training. It's so much more fun. You get to control your own chute but you're on radio so it's no big deal. First AFF is much more fun than tandem, IMO.

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing ~ Helen Keller

Yeah, forget the second tandem...start your AFF training.

You're not even an instructor...[:/]

The person who asked the question might have done a working tandem on their first tandem and has another working tandem to go...so dropping straight to AFF may not be the best choice. This is a decsion that should be up to the student and their instructor(s).

For instance at my dropzone, students save a lot of money and tend to progress through the rest of the student program at a MUCH more successful rate when they do the tandem progression instead of doing traditional AFF.

I'm sure an AFF instructor and/or SL instructor will pipe in and give their opinion as well, but they've dealt with students and have seen how different teaching techniques help different people.

So a stock answer of "yes go do AFF now" or "screw AFF do tandems" or "screw it all and just do SL" may not be the best answer for how the person learns.

So the point is, the student should ask the instructors about what would be best for how they learn.

As for going to another DZ or not, you can if you want but students tend to do do better staying at a single DZ since each DZ trains a little different. However, some students do much better when they get stuck by going to a different DZ that teaches differently. So you're going to have to play it by ear. If you feel comfortable at the DZ you did a tandem out, start their student program. If you don't feel comfortable try a different DZ. Each DZ is different in how they teach, the people there and the overall vibe of the DZ.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

You are so lucky to have so many dropzones very close to home. I'd definitely suggest visiting another dz because each one of them has a different vibe.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Thanks, AggieDave!

I tend to approach things as risky as skydiving pretty cautiously, and I'd rather take a slower approach than some would need or want, to be sure that I really want to pursue AFF and spend that kind of money. My first tandem was totally instructor-controlled, and frankly, that's the way I wanted it - I was out for the "joy ride" to see how it felt. I was about 80% hooked, and want to see if another tandem will "seal the deal" before I make a big financial investment. I think the fact that I want to do it again is a good sign, but although it may make me sound "lazy" to many divers, I wasn't sure I really wanted to work that hard at taking a course! :D If that offends true enthusiasts, so be it. I agree with whatever wise person said that "this is not a race." I'm doing this for enjoyment more than to really prove something.

Being cautious (although not overly cautious) in this sport is what I consider to be a good thing. My evolution as a skydiver was pretty rushed, I was trying to go too hard too fast and got well beyond my ability a few times (and was very lucky that I wasn't seriously hurt or killed).

So go at your own pace but remember that you do need to push yourself a bit to learn and be successful in this sport. I'm sure your instructors or the S&TA (the Safety and Training Advisor) at which ever DZ you end up making your home DZ will be more then willing to explain this at a much greater detail and in reference to their training program.

Good luck and enjoy your next skydive!:)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Call 1800SKYRIDE. They'll fix ya up.

You can't possibly be serious about that. Please don't advocate the use of the Skyride scammers.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka