The111

another question about exit separation

I didn't want to put this in any of the other threads, and I hope it doesn't seem like a troll. I am in full support of all the effort being put into finding a safer, universal system of determining exit separation.

But I am curious... how many incidents happen on a regular basis (or have ever happened) because of insufficient separation? Again, I'm not knocking the value of separation - in my very short time jumping I've already seen a few close calls during deployments. It's terrifying, and we've all seen it happen and heard stories of people freefalling 10 feet away from a fully inflated canopy. But I'm just curious how often the shit actually does hit the fan. It's obvious close calls happen with some frequency.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I've had more then 1 body pass with in 100 feet of me in freefall while I'm under canopy. Out of 725+ jumps... probally 5 close calls that 3 more seconds in the door would have eliminated.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

***But I am curious... how many incidents happen on a regular basis (or have ever happened) because of insufficient separation? Again, I'm not knocking the value of separation - in my very short time jumping I've already seen a few close calls during deployments.

Well, there you have it. You've only been in the sport a short time but you've already seen the close calls. I've seen my wife almost get hit by other groups twice. Must be she's "attractive." Hundreds of times each year, air traffic controllers get airliners too close to each other, losing legal separation. How often do they hit? Practically never, but it could happen, and it would be disastrous. Same with these close calls with skydivers. Each incident is a free wakeup call to fix the problem before someone gets killed. If you do have an incident, try to get with the parties involved and figure out what went wrong and how to fix it. Also, watch down and in front of yourself while you're tracking. Anything you're gong to hit, be it the ground, a canopy, or another person, is going to be coming from that direction. I was on a ten way once where a tracking jumper hit an open canopy, luckily no injuries but a blown out canopy. She was watching the horizon while tracking. No one has ever hit the horizon.

I always go with time separation, seems to work pretty good.

Here's another one for you. The link would require a subscription, so instead I have cut-n-pasted the entire story:

From "Avweb", aviations e-news magazine

Controller Linked To Crash Murdered...
Random Act Or Revenge?...

On Tuesday, an air traffic controller who worked for Skyguide, the Swiss airspace agency, was stabbed to death in his home in Kloten, near Zurich. The victim had been the sole controller on duty in July 2002 when two airplanes collided in Swiss airspace over Lake Constance, killing 71 people, many of them Russian schoolchildren. He was a 36-year-old Danish citizen, a father of three, and was never publicly identified in connection with the crash. Police said a dark-haired man in his 50s rang the doorbell at the controller's home. When the controller answered the door, a fierce and brief argument ensued. The controller was stabbed and the attacker escaped on foot. Yesterday, some news reports said the police think the suspect is the father of one of the schoolchildren who died. A group based in Russia representing the interests of victims' families expressed dismay over the attack. "The relatives understand that one can't return the victims of the air crash and the death of the dispatcher would only harm negotiations with the governments of Germany and Switzerland," Yulia Fedotova, a spokeswoman for the group, told Pravda. "We don't want to think that the death of the air traffic controller was connected with the investigation into the causes behind the crash, but it is possible that he became yet one more victim of the catastrophe."

...As Midair Investigation Continues

Yesterday, Skyguide scaled back flights by 40 percent in Zurich airspace, to help ensure security and out of consideration for its workers. A quarter of Skyguide's Zurich staff did not report for work. Skyguide had been heavily criticized in the wake of the midair collision. Investigators found that only one controller was on duty while his colleague took a break, a collision-alert system was down for maintenance, and a phone warning from German controllers never get through. The Russian pilot of a Bashkirian Airlines Tu-154 was told by the controller to descend, although his onboard anti-collision system was telling him to climb. The pilot obeyed the controller and descended, colliding with the DHL cargo plane, a Boeing 757. The DHL flight with two pilots on board was also descending. Two weeks after the crash, the controller said in a statement that network errors had been to blame. Yesterday the company said in a statement, "Skyguide employees are in a state of shock and fury and are deeply shaken by the murder of their colleague and friend." Officials have stepped up protection for the second controller who was on duty the night of the crash, as well as for other Skyguide staff. The official report on the crash is expected next month.
coitus non circum - Moab Stone