ASullivan

Packing

You can expect to spend between $5 and $7 to have a sport rig's main packed. How long depends on the packer.

While on student status that should be included in your jump price, and shortly you should be beginning to learn to pack. That way you know its done right...nevermind that it feels really good the first time you pack for yourself and you jump it (and it works). Makes you feel like the king of the world.:)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I had no idea that jumper repack their own gear i thought only packers could do that.

Do you have a SIM yet? SIM (Skydiver Information Manual) is put out by the USPA and has their widely accepted ISP student progression as well as all the rules and much of what you're going to learn. Think of it as THE skydiving text book for a USPA jumper.

If you don't have it, you can download it from the USPA's website www.uspa.org or you can buy one there or I bet your DZ has them for sale too. I highly recommend getting one, since it's such a good resource to have. Especially as a student jumper!:)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I just wanted to add (in case you haven't figured it out yet) -- the main can be packed by you or a packer. I have seen good packers do it in less than 10 minutes. As a student you will be required to pack and jump your pack job at least once (but I recommend learning to pack for yourself, thats what I'm doing. It just takes practice. )

The reserve chute has to be packed by an FAA rigger. That has to be done every 120 days. There will be one at your DZ that would do it for you when you get your own rig. It usually costs around $40 for the repack.

Just thought I'd throw that info out there for ya. I know what it feels like to have a million questions and you can't find the answers fast enough. ;) But do get the SIM, I read it cover-to-cover after my 1st jump. Also the book "The Skydivers Handbook" is a great read to get info on the sport.

Enjoy! :)
"At 13,000 feet nothing else matters."
PFRX!!!!!
Team Funnel #174, Sunshine kisspass #109
My Jump Site

and while we're throwing resources around, there's a packing study guide for free, right here www.packingparachutes.com

I just checked out this site, and under the tips and techniques is a link to packing a new ZP canopy...

In the last picture is that a packing tab, or the bridal you can see ?
-----------------------------------------------------------
--+ There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.. --+