huka551

a question for tandem masters

Once the drogue is out, does that mean that there is less that could go wrong with the skydive?

I wouldn't say that. Although it takes a couple of problems out of the equation. You can't get into a sidespin after you get the drogue out, but you can still get into a flat spin. You also have a chance of a main deployment/drogue release, which is nice, once you have the drogue out (atleast on the systems I jump).

There is still a LOT that can go wrong, though. However, proper training of the TI and proper execution of that training, as well as proper training of the student and proper maintance of the gear, many things can be adverted. However, there is no such thing as a perfect TI, perfect student, perfect gear or even a perfectly good airplane.;)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Like Dave said, it doesn't end there.

I am of the opinion that tandems are three times the responsibility for a tandem instructor compared to a sport rig skydive:

-You are responsible for another life as well as your own
-The parachute system is more complex, and carries heavier loads.

The responsibility factor is one of the reasons I enjoy tandems. Not at the top of the list, but a reason nonetheless.

A good friend and retired tandem instructor would always tell his students that asked about it being hard on the TI: "It will be your easiest skydive, and one of my hardest." There is some truth to that.

Once I have landed with my student, and had a brief conversation with them to know they are OK, then I can feel good about the results. Otherwise from gear up to that point it's "game on!"

We could spend a lot of time talking about all of the things that could go wrong after the drogue is thrown, but I would rather stress how important it is for tandem instructors to FLY the exit before throwing the drogue. I see so many tandem videos in which there is a lightning quick drogue throw. That can cause more problems rather than be a solution. If the TI exits with the flying surfaces into the relative wind, flies the exit, then throws the drogue in a stable body position, he will minimize the risks.

Great question!
Arrive Safely

John

main deployment/drogue release, Is that when the drogue deploys the main, unitentionally?

No, I'm talking about intentionally, like when its time to deploy the main. The drogue acts as the PC for the main when you release the drogue.:)

Doing AFF and making no more then 3 jumps in a day, I gained a HUGE appreciation for TI's. I have hung around the dz watching TIs do 14, 15 or more loads in a day. At first glance to someone with no idea, you might think that its fun and easy. But doing just 3 jumps in a day I could physically feel it, and thats not dragging someone else's fat ass around the plane, just my own!:D So Kudos to TI, for I do not have that kind of stamina;)

Muff Brother 3723

I don't always have to drag them around. I am a big guy, so if the person is slightly above average size or smaller, and in some sort of physical shape, manhandling is not usually required. People like that have an overall musculature that supports their body weight over their entire frame. Next time your in a restaurant look at all the people sitting at tables and see how they are sitting. Are they sitting somewhat erect & supporting their own weight? Or are they slumped down hard, straining the structure of the chair to hold them upright? When the latter applies to tandem students, they can be a lot of work because they are slumping against you and the harness.

I jumped a 6'2" 220 lb woman from Africa once, who was an avid cricket player. While she was about 15lbs overweight, she was in excellent shape, so the entire tandem was a blast. The only issue I had with her was safely securing her hair. It was long enough to reach below her shoulder blades, and corn-rowed with tons of beads. It looked really cool but I didn't want it beating me in the face in free fall! :S Three scunci's later, and safely tucked into the back of her jumpsuit, we were off to the races.
Arrive Safely

John

My point was (if missed) that Tandem Inst. work hard, if not by having someone to move around, but by having someone strapped to you, and if they are uncooperative could get tricky. There is potential for all kinds of physical strains that you most likely wouldn't have if you were just fun jumping. It was intended as a compliment, because it was eyeopening to discover that Yes skydiving can be physically demanding, not to mention mentally demanding.

Muff Brother 3723

Yes skydiving can be physically demanding, not to mention mentally demanding.

That it is. Having a student cause problems for you does take a little more work, just as you thought it does.

Honestly the biggest energy killer isn't the student, the jump or the toggle pressure, its lugging the 50lbs rig around all day long.

Eitherway I'd rather deal with a 50lbs rig and still jump a Sigma then anything else.B|

An exellent point. A fun jumper might easily do as many jumps in a day, but aren't lugging that heavy ass tandem rig around. I myself have done 8 tandem jumps (before AFF), and it took me being a AFF student to gain a new respect for TI. So again- I give you respect and admiration:)

Muff Brother 3723

I give you respect and admiration

I appreciate that, but I have more respect for the AFF-I's, they have a very hard job.

Now, get 500 jumps and 3 years in the sport and get your TI rating.B|

My point was (if missed) that Tandem Inst. work hard, if not by having someone to move around, but by having someone strapped to you, and if they are uncooperative could get tricky. There is potential for all kinds of physical strains that you most likely wouldn't have if you were just fun jumping. It was intended as a compliment, because it was eyeopening to discover that Yes skydiving can be physically demanding, not to mention mentally demanding

Sorry if I sounded like I was sharp shooting you . . . I was intending to add to the conversation. I actually did take it as a compliment (thanks)! :$

Cheers!
Arrive Safely

John