Groundbound

First Tandem clothing for student?

I did a search. Took about 15 minutes and under "Clothing" turned up 65 pages of posts which began with microchipped clothing and Bill Gates - I guess I was too lazy to search all 65 pages. Searched clothes and clothing + first and tandem and only got 19%-type search replies.
Thought it might be easier to get current and accurate info from you guys.
What should I wear to my first jump (tandem from 13K, at 10 am should be about 70F on the surface, close to freezing at altitude. I imagine frostbite isnt likely in a short freefall even at those temps. I'm used to wearing jeans or shorts and sneakers.

I couldn't get the DZ on the phone today otherwise I would have asked them, if you don't think it right to patrol for responses here on this question, I suppose I can wait, just trying to plan ahead.

Hope this is the right forum, did't seem to fit in Gear or anywhere else.
Dave

I was an office manager at a DZ for years. I always told the people coming in that were going to make a tandem to wear comfortable clothes and tennis shoes. We had jumpsuits to put on the students, so it didn't matter if they wore shorts.

You are on the right track contacting the DZ.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

If it will be 70 on the ground, I suggest you wear shorts, a t-shirt, tennis shoes, and a long-sleeved t-shirt under your jumpsuit.

Bring a pair of sweats or jeans in case they have you jump in street clothes.

There is no substitute for calling the DZ though. They can make the best recommendation based on their local knowledge.
Arrive Safely

John

Firstly, call the DZ you're gonna jump at and ask.:)

Also, some DZs will put their tandem students in jumpsuits and some will not. Personally I only put my students in jumpsuits if they're not dressed for the weather or if its muddy (and just incase I slip on the landing so I don't stand it up). Otherwise the jumpsuit is truely pointless and is only hot and uncomfortable in the jump plane (unless of course if they're wearing something in appropiate for a jump).

So, just wear something you'd wear for active wear, comfy tennis shoes and nothing with a large collar (or a collar at all really, since it can come loose and beat you in the neck while in freefall).

I'm sure you'll have the time of your life.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Your profile says you are near El Paso. If you're planning to make your jump at skydive El Paso, contact me, and I'll help you get a hold of the dropzone etc. It's my home DZ and a very cool lottle place. If you wont be jumping there, disregard this message.

Eric Cameron

At my dz, tandems weren't given jumpsuits to wear, so don't wear anything that you care about if it gets dirty! Don't wear boots, and jeans can sometimes pinch things (like thighs, and if your a guy...:$), I suggest a comfy pair of pants, long sleeve T-shirt, and comfy sneakers. And enjoy the experience and have fun!!!

Muff Brother 3723

Personally I only put my students in jumpsuits if they're not dressed for the weather or if its muddy (and just incase I slip on the landing so I don't stand it up). Otherwise the jumpsuit is truely pointless ....

Excuse me? We put all of our students in jumpsuits for several reasons. First of all, there is no guaranteeing that anyone is going to stand a tandem up everytime no matter how good you think you are. Wearing a jumpsuit keeps grass stains off the khaki pants that so many people like to show up in and it keeps them from getting their asses skinned up if they are wearing shorts and you butt-slide a landing. Secondly, there is no telling what folks are going to show up in. Loose haltar tops and tight shorts might look good on a girl, but having that shirt fly up over their head in freefall (on video) is only going to lead to embarrasment. Likewise, I don't like getting beat up in freefall by the hoodies on some tops. The jumpsuit keeps everything in place, protects the passenger, and makes the video look more professional. Keep the helmetless, barefooted crap for Spring Break on the beach or something.

It's common sense to me.

First of all, there is no guaranteeing that anyone is going to stand a tandem up everytime no matter how good you think you are.

That was a joke. I of anyone don't stand them up all the time, just some of the time and only with there's atleast 40mph of wind.;)

It also comes down to in the summer, in TX, in a 182 students tend to get heat sick.

So for me it was complete common sense to let them jump in street clothes. It wasn't just me, my course director agreed, infact he's the one that explained it fully to me when I asked and thought we should put all of our students in jumpsuits.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."