ianmdrennan

Crossbrace + low jump numbers

Hey, hey. I resemble that. No personal attacks.
Sparky

Hey I didn't call you big and boat like...I called your canopy big and boat like.

Besides....I hear you are so fat that you load it up well anyway;) . Now THAT was a personal attack.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I like that people are Talking about their own downsizeing even if it was a little fast (or really fast) but your only giving wing size .. what about loading?

My exit weight started at 170 and is now 174.

Sabre 150 @ 26 jumps - 1.13 - too soon
St 135 @ about 250 jumps - 1.26 - too soon
St 120 @ about 650 jumps - 1.42 - too soon
Katana 120 @ about 830 jumps - 1.45 - I think that this is right canopy for me now and plan on spending a very long time on it.
Wind Tunnel and Skydiving Coach http://www.ariperelman.com

I am currently jumping a Jedei 136, having just competed my first year of skydiving. It is loaded at 1.18, and I intend to jump it until around 400-500 jumps, where I will probably look at like a Samurai 120. I started jumping the Jedei at around 100 jumps, and some people questioned my choice at first, but I decided that it was an acceptable wing loading and I would be extremely careful, and work my way into the canopy, flying traditional patterns and landings until I had at least 200 jumps on it.
I wanted an elliptical canopy because I like the reponsiveness and enjoy flying it agressively on higher opening jumps, plus would like to learn how to swoop over time.
I am only 25, a USPA Coach and have a little over a year in the sport, so take this for what it is worth. I would recommend that if a licensed skydiver is really adamant about getting a more aggressive canopy at lower jump numbers, I would try to compromise with him or her and reach an acceptable middle ground. Instead of jumping a VX or crossbraced canopy, I would try and find them a Stiletto, Vengence or Crossfire (still a powerful canopy) at a lower wing loading, say mabye 1.2 or so. I would try relay what I was taught, and encourage them to fly it gently at first, and gradually take small steps toward more high performance landings, while maintaining the same wing loading. I will be the first to admit that one reason I bought the Jedei was that I thought it was "cooler" to tell people I flew that rather than a Sabre or something. So far I have been ok with it, though I know it will take more time before I can even begin to practice higher performance landings with it. Sometimes for a younger skydiver I understand that pride and ego can get in the way of better judgement. I am enjoying my Coach rating and like to teach groundschool and do Coach jumps with younger skydivers because I feel I can relate to them better, and help them work their way into the sport. Usually we conduct our FJC outside, and I will intentionally stop and let the new students watch the jumpers land so I can tie it into the canopy control portion of the course. It comes as no suprise that the younger jumpers are most impressed by the swoopers and the faster canopies. Because I cannot stop them from doing what they want to after they get their A, perhaps it is best to talk to them on their level, and meet them half way. Again, I know i'm Coach nobody, with 150 jumps, so take this with a grain of salt.

>and I would be extremely careful

It is this attitude more than anything else, I think, that kills people. I could land a 69 sq ft canopy loaded at 3:1 if I was careful. But if I tried it 100 times, I could make a nice straight in conservative approach 99 times out of 100. That 100th time I would have to turn at 100 feet to avoid some idiot on final, and since I never learned how to fly the canopy (how could I? I was being careful and not trying anything radical) I'd be lucky to survive.

The biggest mistake a newbie can make is get a canopy they are afraid of hoping they will 'grow into it'. If you're afraid of your canopy, and have to "be extremely careful" you will never learn to fly it well. You'll never turn intentionally at 100 feet because you're being careful. You'll never land on rear risers because you're being careful. You'll never turn in the flare because you're being careful. And after 100 jumps on the canopy that sort of flying will become habit.

And when that guy cuts you off on final? All that being careful will leave you without the skills you need to save your life.

I'd strongly suggest you beg, borrow or steal a canopy that you do not have to be extremely careful with, and fly the hell out of it. Front riser hooks, rear riser landings, flare turns, the works. Then when you go back to your Jedei you'll find you have a better base set of skills, and you can begin to apply them to the smaller canopy.

>Instead of jumping a VX or crossbraced canopy, I would try and
>find them a Stiletto, Vengence or Crossfire (still a powerful canopy)
>at a lower wing loading, say mabye 1.2 or so.

Your advice is dangerous. A Stiletto is an extremely dangerous canopy for a newer jumper without specific HP canopy training. I know you'd feel bad if someone took your advice as an expert in the field and ended up never being able to walk again (or worse) because they trusted you.

>I am enjoying my Coach rating and like to teach groundschool and
> do Coach jumps with younger skydivers because I feel I can relate
> to them better.

That's great, but I would worry that they will learn from your example and get a canopy they fear. Having a coach rating means people will look up to you; I think it's important to set a good example for newer jumpers trying to decide on their first canopy.

>and I would be extremely careful

It is this attitude more than anything else, I think, that kills people. I could land a 69 sq ft canopy loaded at 3:1 if I was careful. But if I tried it 100 times, I could make a nice straight in conservative approach 99 times out of 100. That 100th time I would have to turn at 100 feet to avoid some idiot on final, and since I never learned how to fly the canopy (how could I? I was being careful and not trying anything radical) I'd be lucky to survive.

The biggest mistake a newbie can make is get a canopy they are afraid of hoping they will 'grow into it'. If you're afraid of your canopy, and have to "be extremely careful" you will never learn to fly it well. You'll never turn intentionally at 100 feet because you're being careful. You'll never land on rear risers because you're being careful. You'll never turn in the flare because you're being careful. And after 100 jumps on the canopy that sort of flying will become habit.

And when that guy cuts you off on final? All that being careful will leave you without the skills you need to save your life.

Ladies and Gentalmen...we have a winner!

I have several jumps on a 69 Xbraced. And while I could land it fine...I was not so happy with the thought of HAVING to land it fine to survive the experience. So I got an 88. I now have MUCH more jumps and have a 107.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334