bluewaterstream

Traveling with a trad rack & rig

I'm heading out to the east coast for the weekend to check out the Ranch, but I would also like to get in a few routes at the Gunks while I'm in the area. Has anyone else here ever taken both a full trad rack & skydiving rig as a carry-on? I've taken them both individually on separate occasions, but never at the same time. Would this be a carry-on security nightmare? I'm thinking that it most likely would be and that I'll probably just end up bringing my rig - let me know what you think...

Thanks,

John

I tried to travel to Colorado a cpl of summers ago with my full rack. I had cams, nuts, tri-cams, quick draws etc... the full package. I was told it would have to be boxed and checked through or shipped separately. They would not allow me to carry on my climbing gear.

"I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Just imagine how a Bruce Lee fan who knows nothing about climbing will see a big Hex...

I'm guessing you can fly with it, but some of that stuff looks a lot more scary than the spring in your reserve pilot chute! You'll probably have to check it.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

Just imagine how a Bruce Lee fan who knows nothing about climbing will see a big Hex...

What about two BigBros connected with a chain? "Nunchakus? Nah man, this is just climbing gear..." B|

I'm guessing you can fly with it, but some of that stuff looks a lot more scary than the spring in your reserve pilot chute! You'll probably have to check it.

I've traveled with my rack twice as a carry-on and didn't have any problems, but that was before 9/11. I'm thinking that the combination of the two (rack and rig) is probably not the best idea. Oh well...

I haven't tried carrying on my rack since 9/11. Too many things that are sharp or pointy or can be used as clubs. A #4 Friend? A nut tool? The good news is that all that stuff is more or less indestructible, so even the most grizzled baggage handler won't be able to destroy them.

A nut tool?

Easy there Bill. You'll scare the non climbers. I remember telling someone who asked what a nut tool was for.

"Well, first you need to know that you jam your nuts into a crack, to prevent yourself from falling. Sometimes your nuts will get stuck in the crack, and you'll need the nut tool to get them back out again, or else you need to leave them behind. No one likes to leave their nuts behind..."

He gave me a very odd look, and said, "Fasinating. I don't think climbing's for me though..."

:D

t
It's the year of the Pig.

just so you know you aren't allowed to bring any kind of tools on the flight with you, and they might conisder climbing gear tools, i had to rip apart my whole carry on bag one time for a 1/16th allan wrench that was burried at the bottom of my bag
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower