Perser

A Few Questions from a First Time Jumper

Hi, These are really great forums, I have learned a tremendous amount of knowledge about skydiving from reading the forums over the past couple weeks. I have a few questions if nobody minds answering them.

I am planning on making my first jump this coming weekend (AFF 1). How much time can i go without jumping between jumps for the aff course?

When I get my A license does it have any sort of expiration? If I dont jump for a couple months or a year will I have to retake a training course?

How many jumps are recommended before starting to learn to freefly?
Thanks

I am planning on making my first jump this coming weekend (AFF 1). How much time can i go without jumping between jumps for the aff course?
-----------------------------------------------------------

Since I'm a student myself, i figured I could answer this, at my DZ, if your jumps are 30 days or more, then you are automatically dropped down to a level 3 or the level prior to whichever you completed.

If 60 days passes, you must take a refresher ground school course and restart at level 3 or 2 prior.

If 120 days passes, you have to do the entire ground school training and jumps all over again....

But thats just my dropzone, i think thats how it goes.....one of these other guys can answer the questions about A licensing and freefly.....

Have a good first jump!
Puttin' some stank on it.

----Hellfish #707----

You can go 30 days, which for most of us means 4 weekends. But you are much more likely to need to repeat levels at 159$ (or whatever) a pop if you do so. Trying to jump every other weekend would be much better.

Just so you know, there are two answers to that first question depending on what you want to know :

1) How long is the maximum time I will be allowed to spend without jumping before I am required to repeat a level, do extra ground training, or fulfill some other requirement before I can make my next jump?

2) How long do you recommend taking between jumps?

1) has been answered above, precise timings etc will vary from centre to centre and country to country but those sound like ones I have heard before.

However you should be aware that the answer to 2) is different, and is more along the lines that it is known that the more regularly you jump the safer you will be and the easier you will find it to learn.

You should strive at all times to be as current as you can be, particularly in the early stages of your jumping career. AFF especially is designed to be taken as an intensive, continuous programme of instruction and you should really try and complete it in as short a time as possible. It's often suggested to be best to commit a week or two and rattle through it. This will benefit your skills, safety and wallet significantly.

If you suspect you may not be able to commit to complete your training intensively you should discuss with an instructor at your centre the possibilities for alternate training methods which may more suit your commitments.

An A licence is always yours, however depending on the discretion of the Chief Instructor (S&TA in the US) you may be required to undergo retraining, or coached jumps to assess your skill, or both if you have not jumped in a while. The amount of work required will depend both on how long you have been out, and how experienced you were when you stopped.

In terms of learning to freefly, I don't really have the experience to suggest average jump numbers, but in the UK you are required to :

demonstrate (in a belly to earth position) the ability to :
a)Control fall rate.
b)Control horizontal movement, (forwards, backwards and sideways).
c)Achieve ‘docking’ techniques.
d)Turn in place.
e)Dive and approach a target.

(BPA Ops Manual)

before being introduced to freeflying. How long this will take will depend on your skills, currency and the types of jumps you have been doing (eg 50 canopy 'hop and pops' will not really build these skills) more than the overall number of jumps you have.

Just my 2p

Sweep
----
Yay! I'm now a 200 jump wonder.... Still a know-it-all tho..

So spoke a 100-jump wonder... Should any D-license jumpers especially with more than 2000 jumps care to disagree with me I'll be happy to explain to them why they're wrong... ***

Easy now sweep, your advice was concise and if it's
read from the book,IRM or SIM ppl won't dispute it.

I usually base my replies on the information in the BPA Ops Manual etc (obviously I'm UK based so I know that more than the SIM/IRM but I try and make that distinction clear), or on the way I answer questions when people phone or pop into manifest with them.

That wee sarcastic tag line on the end of my posts is more to make clear that where I'm replying with opinions rather than statements of fact people should take a look at my jump numbers and not take my every word as gospel. And also that I don't actually consider myself to be a "100 jump wonder", just a person who's used to answering common questions and has a fairly good knowledge of the ops manual.... Hence the grins etc. B|

Blue ones,

Sweep
----
Yay! I'm now a 200 jump wonder.... Still a know-it-all tho..