DrewEckhardt

Jumping lay off after a herniated disk?

Has any one gotten an informed answer from medical professionals about how long to wait and/or know some one I could have look at the original MRI to give a knowledgeable opinion?

I herniated L5-S1 and asked both my osteopath and physical therapist about this. Both expressed some concern over landing which doesn't worry me. Neither could provide an answer about opening shock but said the stretching on opening wouldn't be a problem. Prodded some more they couldn't answer about the compression.

Honestly I dont think "time" is the question, but rather physical fitness. Do you have the sciatic-nerve problem associated with the herniation?
Yeah, on opening your spine will benefit but land hard and you could do more damage and/or aggrevate the herniation.
I would start in the gym training back, legs & abs if youre not there already.
Good luck!

Neither could provide an answer about opening shock but said the stretching on opening wouldn't be a problem.

Stretching??? Your spine gets compression during opening shock, (unless you are hanging from your legstraps by your armpits).
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Have had back problems for years.have avioded the knife...so far!!! Stretch,strengthen,use massage.When my leg burns,foot is nubb,pecker dribbles piss down my leg from spasm, its time to take a break!!!
My DRS.hate me, but as long as I can move somewhat pain free,I let that tell me,you may want to due some research on artificial discs if the problem gets worse, but i am not a dr.I know that if I stay strong,and stretch,I can still climb and fly my wingsuit!!
Gotta love ice!!!
Only he can be happy,who can make his the present hour,for today he has lived

I herniated L4 and fractured L5 from a hard opening. Right leg went completly numb from hip to toes. After pain management (similar to a spinal block) there was no bending, tying shoes, and no picking up anything for a month. Then 4 months of PT including stretching both leg nerves and muscles, and a lot of reverse sit ups (similar to arching) with reps and numbers increasing each week.

It still bothers me the day after jumping, but is just a dull ache. I was lucky since my primary MD is a jumper and her goal was "to get you back in the air as soon as possible."

Blue skies,

Jim

Neither could provide an answer about opening shock but said the stretching on opening wouldn't be a problem.

Stretching??? Your spine gets compression during opening shock, (unless you are hanging from your legstraps by your armpits).

That's what I thought until the MD told me differently.

That's what I thought until the MD told me differently.

I have had two compression fractures of the spine. Once when I was a little kid, and one on my first jump. In talking to the orthopedic surgeon who diagnosed them, it became obvious a doctor doesn't have a clue about the physics of skydiving, unless he is jumper himself.

The deceleration load is transmitted down the lines to the risers, to the main lift web, to the leg straps. Under deceleration, the spine is above the legs, so it is undergoing compression.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Back in 1987 I herniated a disc in my lower spine (S2?) and was too macho to visit the doctor until sciatica cramped my left calf solid.
The first winter I just lay around and moaned a lot. I tried jumping that June, but just re-injured myself.
The second winter I swam three times a week and that helped.
The third winter I did aerobics three times a week and got strong enough to return to jumping on a regular basis.
Even today, I get the occassional twinge in my left leg reminding me to do sit ups and stretch more often.
Drugs did nothing to ease the pain. Chiropractors and physio-therapy helped a little bit.
But the key to recovering is strengthening the torso muscles and stretching to bring your spine back into correct alignment.