MJG

Why am I still Nervous???

When I was a student, I was so nervous I couldn't eat anything all day long. I agree with some of the others, repetition, confidence in your skills. and currency are the keys.

Usually now, I don't get nervous so much as I have performance anxiety. But that's a whole nother story entirely.

I will be scared silly my first jump at rantoul this year-I always am. I went from being afraid of every jump to being afraid the first jump of the weekend. It's all that i can do to get on the plane that Saturday morning. It's funny, but I kind of hope that the sensation never leaves, that i never lose that sense of accomplishment when I get that one behind me. As long as you still board the plane, you win. Being scared or apprehensive isn't always a bad thing. It has kept me off of jumps that I wasn't skilled enough to be on and sent me looking for guidance from experienced jumpers that has been invaluable. Listen to the fear, recognize it, evaluate the choices that you are making-just don't give in to it
I am not the man. But the man knows my name...and he's worried

I've never been nervous in the door - when its time to go, I go!

However.... watching OTHER people leave the door, or skydiving videos with an inside view of people exiting gives me the collywobbles.... weird, huh?
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Yep, same here. I'm not nervous in the door. But when I was a student I was scared shitless beforehand! I could never eat anything at the dz, all day long! And I had a few times I was so freaked I was white as a sheet and had to hold back the tears. But once I got into the door, I just wanted to get out there and feel the wind in my face! B| My instructor couldn't believe it. With how nervous I was on the ground, she expected me to really hesitate on exit. But I just went for it. :)
Now I still get nervous/butterflies, but not nearly as bad. As a matter of fact, I've got them right now because I'm going to be jumping tomorrow for the first time in 3 weeks. (Woo-hoo!!B|) But I know I just need to push through them for that first jump, and after that I'll be lovin it and itching to get right back up there. :)
Watching other people's exits on video makes me want to get up there more! It makes me less nervous cuz I remember how awesome it feels to be in the sky. :)
"At 13,000 feet nothing else matters."
PFRX!!!!!
Team Funnel #174, Sunshine kisspass #109
My Jump Site

Its cool to see everyones reply... I was beginning to feel like I am alone. Some get nervous at the door, some the plane ride up, and then there are the freaks like me when I am on the way to the DZ or staring at the sky when its completely blue.. Sounds corny but it true. One thing I know now that keeps me relaxed is that when I am on the plane and going to the door...I already know that I am going to fall FAST, so fear of heights are non existant.. Fear of pots and pans coming out of my chute, or a hard landing is what kills me especially since I havent had a stand up landing. When I tried I came down hard, kinda hurt my pride a little not to mention the rest of my body. But anyway heading back this weekend, hoping for a good day so I can tear up level 4.

For the butterflies in the stomach feeling, I often eat little or nothing in the morning when I’m going to the DZ. It’s a carry-over from my student days: no food in there, nothing to barf! (I do the same thing when I go to amusement parks, in case I go on the rides.) One caveat to this, especially in warmer weather: dehydration can make you feel nauseous, so keep yourself well-hydrated at the DZ. I often drink just regular soda (for the sugar) or sport drink (for the carbs) in the morning to give myself some fuel if I don’t want to eat solid stuff, “just in case”. (I recommend you not drink cola or any other caffeinated drink; caffeine just adds to the jitters.)

Re: your “chute”, ain’t no pots & pans in there! Learn to pack your rig yourself ASAP; it’s a great way to give you that in-control feeling. So is knowing how to do a good PLF.

I can still get pretty nervous sometimes. I have this routine while I've got my goggles and helmet on and am waiting for door to be called. I just touch my handles over and over and over and check and re-check my chest-strap and the chest-straps and 3-ring routing and RSL routing of those around me. It calms me down because I feel like I'm kinda doing something constructive with my anxiety.

Usually when the pilot calls door I'm ready to go and don't give it a second thought. Sometimes, if the exit takes a while and I am hanging from a strut or way back on the camera step or something I get to thinking about the absurdity of what I am doing. But since I know all of my friends would laugh at me if I held on through exit and climbed back into the plane, I just go ahead with it. But then I am relaxed and happy until pull time.B|

Bottom line, its normal.

-Karen

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

For the butterflies in the stomach feeling, I often eat little or nothing in the morning when I’m going to the DZ.

I force myself to eat breakfast - and I mean force!! - before I leave for the DZ, because I often forget to eat while I'm there, but always drink a lot of water.

I've lost most of the real nerves (which overwhelmed me enough to result in a ride down with the plane early on), but every so often in the plane up i'll still start thinking "wtf am i doing - do i really want to be a skydiver?!" (the answer comes as soon as the door opens, of course B|)
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

or staring at the sky when its completely blue..

I sometimes get a shiver when I look at the sky now. Especially those days with the cotton puff clouds dotting the sky, picturing looking at them during freefall..B|

When ever I'm approaching DZ, skiing resort or mountains I'm gonna climb I feel that specific thrill in my body. I have pretty dumb smile on my face at those moments, I guess. Oh that thrill! I love that feeling so much! ;) Foretaste of the upcoming activity B|.

I'm really getting nervous sometimes in the a/c when it's less than 1000 feet and I'm sitting there buckled up to my seat. I feel a sort of anxiety at approx 1,5-3K feet before exit altitude and I feel nothing but excitement when the door opens. :)
The air out there is so friendly!!! :)