Andy_Copland

Exiting unstable

Just thought i'd share some thoughts after my 2 skydives today.

Im having a problem with my exits, it was my first exit by myself and apparently my first 2 or so seconds are fine but then it went to hell, as i focused on my arch i must have just gone rigid and found myself on my back, i arched and came belly down only flip right over on my back again.

I didnt panic and i passed the level once my problems went away at 10,000ft but i felt like shite [:/]. I done my level 7 and again went rigid and on my back, without a doubt staying calm has been the hardest skill to learn. I got stable at 11,000ft this time and performed a perfect back loop followed by a track and two 360 turns.

I really enjoyed this jump and i couldnt believe how simple the answer is to tumbling and generally having a bad fall, relaxing.

I know most of you guys have probably heard this so much and its boring but its a new revelation for me to actually relax that much in freefall, im now cleared to do my consolidation jumps, i cant wait to jump by myself :P

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

you have discovered the secret to all good flying no matter what the genre....relaxation.

the more you try not to make things happen, the better the dive. that feeling will serve you well as you progress. :)
"Don't talk to me like that assface...I don't work for you yet." - Fletch
NBFT, Deseoso Rodriguez RB#1329

Yeah, skydiving is easy. All you have to do is relax while plummeting towards earth at 120 miles an hour, all while doing tricks, most of the time with a camera pointed at you.

B|
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. --Douglas Adams

I read some good words of advice on here recently -
relax, let go of the tits, and push the bush!

Who in their right mind let go of the tits, I think holding them on the ride up would be more relaxing.

Don't worry your not the only one who has interesting exits. I still suck at my exits, its strange sometimes I'll nail them and sometimes I have the most interesting acrobatics....... But remember that even if you screw up your exit...... isn't it cool to flip around the air anyway..... and it looks great on camera lol well at least for everyone else.

The most terrifying words in the English language are: ‘I'm from the government and I'm here to help’. ~Ronald Reagan

30,000,000 legal firearm owners killed no one yesterday.

I seriously thought i was going to puke going back in the plane because my head just wasnt right, was feeling so bad after my level 6 even though i passed, my exit scared me i guess.

On the way up i was going through it in my head and seriously thought about throwing the towl in because of my nerves, always having fear in the back of my mind but as soon as i hit the deck i knew for sure i'd just figured it out, im making so many new friends and generally enjoying the whole experience, not just jumping ;)

As long as you can get stable, exiting unstable isn't that big of a deal. The exit is only the first part of the skydive. If it goes to shit it's okay. Smile, take a deep breath and go on with the skydive.

I'd suggest spending some time at the aircraft mockup working on your exit body position. Ground practice is free. B|

I love unstable exits.
Whenever jumping alone you will almost always see me doing cannon balls out of the plane. It's one of the best parts of the dive to just tumble thru the air getting faster and faster, wheeeeeB|. The only thing you have to do to stop is to open up and arch a little. It's freaking great
Inveniam Viam aut Faciam
I'm back biatches!

I love unstable exits.
Whenever jumping alone you will almost always see me doing cannon balls out of the plane. It's one of the best parts of the dive to just tumble thru the air getting faster and faster, wheeeeeB|. The only thing you have to do to stop is to open up and arch a little. It's freaking great

He's right. I think you will start to enjoy unstable exits in the near future if you have not already. Your level six dive should have built up some confidence for you...gaining stability, and it seems as if you are doing okay otherwise. I know how you feel, relaxing is the hardest part. I was in your shoes just last week...hehe. Good luck to you.

I think its just because i've nailed all my other AFF levels and have always aimed for 100%

After my exit i think i just had to stop being a dick and realise that i wasnt going to get it right all the time, its taken 7 jumps but i at least now know skydiving is all about relaxing and having fun.

I've not had to repeat a level (my wallet was cheering) so i'm doing something right, as you have all said, its not a big deal. Going to do my 10 consols and then do my level 8 Hop n Pop, just to work on my exit a bit more

Cheer for all your reply's :P

Andy:

Don't get too concerned about that exit. If you're jumping a side-door aircraft, you're exiting into a different airspeed pretty much every time, and we used to have jump pilots that dropped the flaps 10 degrees and others that didn't. All those things can have a big effect on you as you exit.It takes a lot of experience to nail every exit without some instability, as long as you can recover quickly, you're doing great. Hang in there, sounds to me like you're progressing nicely. You'll develop a "feel" for the exit with some more jumps and won't even consciously notice them.

skydiving is all about relaxing and having fun.

It took me a lot more than 7 jumps to figure that one out. ;)