Texas_Diver

What is that called?

Yeah. We used to have big debates about the obvious pros and cons. One of the typical problems students had with this system way a tendency to spin. You really had to arch hard, as the droque tried to de-arch you.
The student program went something like this: 5 tandems, 3 drogue solos, and then non-drogue solos. The dropzone was very conservative, cessna type. Mom and Pop style if you will. Everybody knew each other and looked out for each other. Good safety record with both students and experienced jumpers.
Most people have never heard of drogue solos, but I was told they were common training aids in Russia. I can't confirm this, but the guy who told me could probably find better things to bullshit me on than this.

Most people have never heard of drogue solos, but I was told they were common training aids in Russia.

Oh, yes indeed, they are -- if you go the old-fashioned learning way, you get a "drogue" on D-series round canopy rigs when the student makes his 3-second, 5-second, 10-second and 20-second delays, to then move on to a drogueless Paracommander-like round rig for their 30-second delay.

Okay, we do AFF too, I swear :)