SixtySecRush

Looking for some thoughts

Looking for so0me thoughts for a situation i have. I currently only have 125 jumps. I have not jumped but maybe a dozen times in the last 18 months. Work is the big killer with my jumping (weekend work). My wife and i are having our first child in february which i know will limit my jumping even more. I have been wondering weather i should sell my rig or just keep it. It drives me nuts to see my rig in the closet not being used. My thoughts were because i will not be jumping very much that i could just rent when i can jump and just sell my rig to someone who could really get some jumps out of it. It a good rig, Javelin J2, Sabre2 170, Raven 181 and a cypress, all purchased in 2000. I've also thought of maybe just taking a break for a few years and then coming back. Jumping is something i wont stop. The sky will still be there and i can always buy new gear. I know there are alot of new people in the sport looking for good equipement and if i can provide a complete ready to jump and safe rig, my thoughts were why should i let my rig suffer in the closet. Just looking for some thought on people who have maybe had the same situation as me and also looking to input on those who to several year off and then came back. I feel that if i dont sell my rig that i'm cheating a fellow skydiver out of some good gear that he/she could get good use out of but then i feel i'm cheating myself if i do sell it. Its been hard to decide. Thanks for any and all responses.

Remember that keeping your rig in-date will cost approx $150 (3 repacks at $50), and that your Cyrpes is losing about $100 per year sitting in your closet (they have a 12 year life span, after which they are worth zero).

So for a year-round jumper, with a Cyrpes, it costs you about $250 per year to have a rig ready to jump. You can consider if the rental costs will excced this, or if not, how far under this will they be. Also, whats the value to you to jump your own gear? Thats certainly a factor. Also with a rugrat on the way, could you use the lump sum of cash you get for selling?

Just some things to think about.

Jumping is something i wont stop. The sky will still be there and i can always buy new gear.

Yup, that's the way I'd look at it.

I suggest that both you and your wife sit down and write a pros and cons list to figure out what the best route is to take.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

The Cypres is losing money sitting in your closet. Your gear is five years old; at this point the resale value of the rest of the gear isn't going to change much over the next few years.

My opinion - if you know you'll be taking time off the sport but you will be back and you don't need the money that selling the rig will bring in, sell the Cypres and keep the rest of the rig. This will make getting back into the sport less painful financially - it'll probably be easier to talk your wife into letting you spend $500 or so on a used Cypres than $3000+ for a complete used rig when it's time.

And with a little one helping to spend the household budget, that could be the difference between you getting gear again or not.

If you do get out for an ocassional jump would you rather jump your own gear or rental gear?

He also has to ask himself what "occasional jump" means? Every 30 days? Or every 3 months? If there is too much time between the jumps, then it becomes unsafe.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Looking for so0me thoughts for a situation i have. I currently only have 125 jumps. I have not jumped but maybe a dozen times in the last 18 months. Work is the big killer with my jumping (weekend work). My wife and i are having our first child...

I say keep the rig and make some time for yourself. You'll need the break from your duties as husband and father, to stay sane.

The first 12 years of my jumping career I only jumped one day every-other weekend. That was "Dad's day" to go out and have fun on his own. It kept me going. The other weekend days were the usual Dad stuff, maintaining home and cars, taking kids fishing and to soccer games, etc. You can still jump, but you have to accept that it is going to be somewhat limited.

Then when my kids grew up and were out in the world on their own, Dad went crazy and started jumping every weekend. I earned it, and I've been having a heck of a lot of fun ever since.

That's my perspective. Good luck with your choice.

Oh, and allow the wife to have a day off too.

Looking for so0me thoughts for a situation i have. I currently only have 125 jumps. I have not jumped but maybe a dozen times in the last 18 months. Work is the big killer with my jumping (weekend work). My wife and i are having our first child...

I say keep the rig and make some time for yourself. You'll need the break from your duties as husband and father, to stay sane.

The first 12 years of my jumping career I only jumped one day every-other weekend. That was "Dad's day" to go out and have fun on his own. It kept me going. The other weekend days were the usual Dad stuff, maintaining home and cars, taking kids fishing and to soccer games, etc. You can still jump, but you have to accept that it is going to be somewhat limited.

Then when my kids grew up and were out in the world on their own, Dad went crazy and started jumping every weekend. I earned it, and I've been having a heck of a lot of fun ever since.

That's my perspective. Good luck with your choice.

Oh, and allow the wife to have a day off too.

Great post;)

Looking for so0me thoughts for a situation i have. I currently only have 125 jumps. I have not jumped but maybe a dozen times in the last 18 months. Work is the big killer with my jumping (weekend work).

Funny how having to eat & pay rent will do that to you

My wife and i are having our first child in february which i know will limit my jumping even more.

You bet it will (probably).
(By the way, congrats on your first kid. It's the best time of your life. Oh, and then you have to teach him/her how to drive.)

I have been wondering weather i should sell my rig or just keep it.

Keep it. Unless you're replacing it with a new one, selling your rig is like shooting your dog.

It drives me nuts to see my rig in the closet not being used.

It will drive you more nuts if 6 months after Kiddo is born, after weeks on end of being sleep-deprived from 1am then 3am then 4am then 5am feedings, and being up to your elbows in shit (yeah, I mean that literally) you have a chance to get a couple jumps in, but you've sold Ole Betsy down the river to the orphanage.

My thoughts were because i will not be jumping very much that i could just rent when i can jump and just sell my rig to someone who could really get some jumps out of it.

That's a nice sentiment, but there are other rigs out there for jumpers to buy; it's not like you're hoarding food instead of donating it to starving children in Canada.

I've also thought of maybe just taking a break for a few years and then coming back. Jumping is something i wont stop. The sky will still be there...

Quite true. Lots of new parents take time off. I did. Nothing dishonorable in that.

..my thoughts were why should i let my rig suffer in the closet.

Um, it's an inanimate object. It doesn't suffer.

Just looking for some thought on people who have maybe had the same situation as me and also looking to input on those who to several year off and then came back.

In my case I took so long off that my old rig had been donated to the Smithsonian. But if your rig's only about 10 years old, it will probably still be jumpable. It's a great thing to have jumpable gear at the ready when you're ready to return.
I agreee with those who say keep the rig, sell the Cypres.

Sell it.

It will cost you less to rent gear 3 or 4 times a year then it does to keep the Cypress batteries and reserve in date...and my friend Mr Murphy just informed me that those days you do decide to jump will be 2 days after your reserve is out of date.

If you are going to be that non-current, the last thing I would do is shit can my Cypress...but that's just my opinion.

Congrats on the lil one.
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

If you do get out for an ocassional jump would you rather jump your own gear or rental gear?

He also has to ask himself what "occasional jump" means? Every 30 days? Or every 3 months? If there is too much time between the jumps, then it becomes unsafe.

My thought were a worse case scenerio is jumping at least once a month but nothing over 2 months. Not the greatest scenerio

The Cypres is losing money sitting in your closet. Your gear is five years old; at this point the resale value of the rest of the gear isn't going to change much over the next few years.

My opinion - if you know you'll be taking time off the sport but you will be back and you don't need the money that selling the rig will bring in, sell the Cypres and keep the rest of the rig. This will make getting back into the sport less painful financially - it'll probably be easier to talk your wife into letting you spend $500 or so on a used Cypres than $3000+ for a complete used rig when it's time.

And with a little one helping to spend the household budget, that could be the difference between you getting gear again or not.

Thats a great idea. How much could i get for the cypress. I just recently got the 4 year check done. "IF" i take a couple of years off, what concerns should i have with my rig when i return to jumping?

Well, i've had to make a very hard decision but i decided to go ahead and sell the gear and devote my time off to my upcoming daughter. I will take a couple of years off but i will be back and i'll just buy new gear when that time comes. I do not think its safe for me or the people i jump with to be that ocassional jumper. Jumping is something i need to do very frequently and i dont want to jeopordize myself and my fellow jumpers. I want to thank all that responed to my post and all those that jumped with me over the years, its been an awesome ride. Thank you Skydive San Marcos for the training and support over the years. This is not the end......I shall return to the sky we all love. Blue skies

I think you are doing the right thing. Your daughter will only be young once, and if you aren't around you will miss so many opportunities with her.

The sky will always be there.