artistcalledian

Difference from a 280 down to a 170?

How about this, my general impression of skydiving in the UK is that the weather sucks, and you guys don't get in tons of jumps (crappy weather, small planes, few DZ's). Am I right? If so, how many jumps do you think you'll be making next year? The year after? Do either of those numbers suggest that you'l be progressing through canopy sizes quickly? All the more reason to have a conservative wing over your head.

This whole situation is pretty fucked. You did well to change your order, and in truth, going with Aerodyne's reccomendation and getting a 210 isn't even a bad idea.

The planes are very good and fast(Dornier(Sp?), Turbo LET) however there usually isn't a crowd to allow multiple planes flying hot the whole day at any DZ.

I made over 480 jumps between Oct 2003 and Mar 2005(lived in the US) and about 30 jumps since June 3, 2005 in the U.K.

Kris.

I'm 39, i don't have the bravado of a teenager, i just want to jump out of planes, enjoy the freefall, and then come down nice and safe

That desire points to the largest canopy that will penetrate your typical winds. On a big 220 triathlon at roughly 1.1, that has been sufficient for most winds I've seen that people in general would jump. Somewhere around 20mph, best to sit out.

So perhaps that 210 is worth reconsidering, and you may never feel the need to go smaller than the 188. If OTOH, you want to go fast on landings, the 190/210s tend to sell very easily to other big guys.

i hear what you're saying, i'm going to ask about canopy lessons on friday afternoon at my DZ. get signed up as soon as possible

I'm 99% sure i'll never go below the 190 as it'll be plenty fun/fast enough for what i want, and like the other poster said.... i'm in England, its not as if we get the weather to be doing 2-300 jumps a year

i'm in England, its not as if we get the weather to be doing 2-300 jumps a year

Damn, I'll just have to rewrite my log book as I'm sure I've got 2-300 for the last few years at the same dropzone:P Never mind one of those instructors who has done 1000+ jumps a year for the last several years. Still it is the UK and it rains all the time and we only jump out of a C206 - or so some would think:S

Damn, I'll just have to rewrite my log book as I'm sure I've got 2-300 for the last few years at the same dropzone

Damn, I don't do that many a year and I live in Florida! :P
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I think you've learnt one of the best lessons in skydiving.

Listen to advice, consider everything everyone tells you, but always ask questions of more than just one person and ask and ask and ask ...

Then when you've got a fair amount of opinions, then start making your decisions. You'll soon learn whose advice to listen to and whose not to.
www.sneale-create.com

yeah i know :)
i wasn't even going to bother asking this question on here. i thought i'd get the piss ripped out of me for even asking !

damn glad that i did though B| i've ordered The Parachute And Its Pilot as well, i've been too complacent that everything will be ok

> i'm changing the reserve to a 188 too, is that advisable?

Probably a good idea. The PD176 actually measures about 189 square feet. so that might be a good choice.

Is there a site that says the actual sq ft of reserves?
I've been looking at a new to me/used rig with a sabre 2 170 in it but the reserve is pdr 160; and that size worries me......was initially going to pass on it, even though it's a good deal, but if it's actually a size bigger???? Thanks!

>I've been looking at a new to me/used rig with a sabre 2 170 in
>it but the reserve is pdr 160; and that size worries me......

PD measures all their canopies fairly consistently. Which means that if you are uncomfortable with something smaller than a Sabre2 170, a PDR160 _will_ be 6% or so smaller.

Nice chart, but not to be blindly trusted. The obvious descripency is the Safire sizing; many people know the Safire1's were measured by a different method, but according to the chart a Saf 149=149, and a Crossfire 149=149.

Maybe I did a poor job explaining that, so if someone wants to clear that up for me, be my guest.