jjiimmyyt

My First Tandem - Freaky

Did my first tandem yesterday, had no rig to jump and needed to jump, the price was right;), so off we went. Very interesting.

Was shitting myself climbing into the 206 without a rig on, checked the harness conections every couple of minutes on the way up. didnt feel comfrortagble until we got to 4k or so. Also, having Monty behind you is never comfortable.:P

The drougefall was weird and i aint dumped that high for a while. Watching my mates (who were videoing and playing) be near me on deployment was scary but they soon fell away.

I was very surprised by the very light toggle pressure, similair to the Fury I had been jumping recently. I was expecting a real workout but on the Icarus main it was very nice. Also you can throw that thing round like a mofo if you want.

All in all I was glad I did it. I have more knowledge about what TMs have to do (14 stone on your lap cant be comforatble for a start) and I got good canopy instruction with the instructor right behind me.

So, cheers to Andy for taking me just for slots - I owe you some beers dude, and Alun for letting Monty do the Tandem for slots.:)

"This isn't an iron lung, people. You can actually disconnect and not die." -Dave

First...jjiimmyyt - Glad you enjoyed your tandem. B| And, yes, it is freaky not to have your own gear on. :D

Unless I'm missing something, why would you need 100 jumps to be a tandem student? It doesn't say in his post that he's doing a recurrency jump for the TI or helping the TI get his rating. He just referred to the TI as the instructor.

The 3 tandems that I did - 1 was on jump # 12 'cause I was trying to talk someone into doing a tandem but couldn't if I didn't do one. The other 2 (I could look up exact jump numbers but I know that I still was less than a D license) were recurrency jumps for TI's. From what I've understood, as long as you're a licensed skydiver you can go on recurrency jumps.
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

Which DZ is this? I'm guessing you're in the UK somewhere.

I thought you needed 100 jumps to be a tandem student for someone. Were you doing this to help your friend get his rating, or did he just take you up for free?

This is Skydive Jersey in the Channel Islands, Jersey.

I've got no gear at the moment (on order though), it may have been the last time open this year and my nylon crack addiciton demanded I jump so I bit the bullet and did a tandem.

Andy was generous enough to do it for free and the DZO was happy as long as slots were covered.

As a sidenote I believe that under BPA regs anyone on the front, even if they have 100s of jumps, is considered a student unless they are doing a TI course.

"This isn't an iron lung, people. You can actually disconnect and not die." -Dave

Noice!

I did a tandem about three weeks ago! It was my first too since I grew up in Static Line Land. Quite the experience eh? I thought I'd feel more tension from the harness then I did. You know, like I was "hanging" from the TM.

I remember I tried some turns. That was a laugh, it's like turning a barge! lol.

Anyway, glad you enjoyed it.

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!