upndownshop

Skydiving History

I don't know how to really start this but here goes.

Let's not take for granted the pioneers. Listen to them. Learn from them. Try to capture some of their love and desire to give back to the sport on a daily basis. We are losing them. It started for me 5 years ago with the loss of my father (41 years of jumping) and it was a great loss to the community.

I am still learning how much of a pioneer he was. What he really did for the sport was jump with the newbie (in my opinion). He didn't care about your looks, clothing, piercings, or music. He just wanted to jump with you. No coaching fees. Just pure and simple giving.

That, to me, is the single most important thing we can do to keep this sport alive and growing.

I know from the other pioneers that most of them did the same thing. Just gave back, pure and simple.

Of course times have changed and money is important, but even if you only do it once a year, just grab a kid and go jump!!

This behavior with the pioneers is what sparked SkyFest and the scholarship fund. It's not just about Jerry, but a celebration of ALL of the pioneers life, by doing the same thing that most of them did back in the day.

Once again, spend time with these folks. They are irreplaceable. There are a few on DZ.com. Stop, say hello, pm them. I am sure they would love to tell their stories.

Go grab a kid, jump and pay it skyward!! And respect thy elders! Sit down with a pioneer for a while.

Guess I am just feeling the loss of another one of our greats. Man, what a year.

Yes I have seen that but I guess my thinking was that this wasnt just ' the jump the newbie" thread,. Our pioneers need to be appreciated, was another point.

I guess if they move it or delete so be it.

I usually tend to kill threads anyway:S so why should this be any different:)

you'll see there have already been initiatives in that sense.

SkyFest started that initiative 5 1/2 years ago.

Actually Jerry and other pioneers did it 40 + years ago;)

I meant SkyFest started the initiative to do what the pioneers did by paying it Skyward! :P

There arent many sports around where you can still talk to those that fathered it. Cant do that with baseball or football. But we still can with Skydiving... at least for a little while.

Hat's off to those that gave their all- paying the dues and making the mistakes that had to be made in order that the rest of us can have something fairly safe and incredibly cool to do on the weekends... I would imagine those old timers still among us had to say goodbye to a lot of friends along the way. That alone is worth respect.

My thanks to our current pioneers as well.

Most of the jumpers on this site are still alive and kicking. Many of them still jump on a regular basis. But in 5 to 10 years most of the people who started the sport of skydiving will be gone. And with them will be gone a vast wealth of experience and knowledge the likes of which we will never again see. If you get the chance, spend some time with one of these unique people, you won’t regret it.

Sparky

Our beginnings
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Most of the jumpers on this site are still alive and kicking. Many of them still jump on a regular basis. But in 5 to 10 years most of the people who started the sport of skydiving will be gone. And with them will be gone a vast wealth of experience and knowledge the likes of which we will never again see. If you get the chance, spend some time with one of these unique people, you won’t regret it.

Sparky

Our beginnings

Hey, are you aware that July 27 2006 will mark 40 years since Bob Buqor drowned? At SkyFest in july next year we are going to make a big deal out of it with special SCR's and other Star formations. Bill Newell is going to make an appearance and do the ceremony for us. He will also be handing out patches on the spot like he did in the 60's. We are pretty excited about it. You should joins us I know you would enjoy it.

And yes spend all the time one can with the pioneers. Bill Newell will be a blast at SkyFest.

It seems like a lot of the "wisdom of the elders" is passed down by _doing_ (jumping with them), and
not by talking. But I wonder if it would be of value for somebody from Parachutist or just anybody to
go around to all the "old timers", buy each one a beer or three, and start running a tape. Let them
ramble and BS as much as they want; tape and memory cards are cheap. Then transcribe it and print
it, or put it on Skydive Radio or something.

I know some people clam up if they know they're being taped, but beer can be helpful in this area. And
I realize you're not going to put the experience of 40 years of jumping on a few hours of tape. But it
would be a hell of a lot better than nothing.

"In Africa, when an old person dies, it’s a library burning down." Amadou Hampatâe Bãa, African author.

Eule
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.