atsaubrey

C-182

I did my pre 2nd jump out of a Cessna 182 on saturday at Madera Parachute Club (or whatever) and can say I actually enjoyed it. Dave the DZO looked my stuff over than said I think we will only put 2 others in with you on the load. :P Well when the time came it only ended up being two of us. Anyway, I can say I actually enjoyed it and it was different standing outside the aircraft hanging onto the strut. Launched the two way and had a great time. Anyway thought I would share, and prefer the bigger aircraft but wouldn't mind another Cessna jump.
"GOT LEAD?"

I did my pre 2nd jump out of a Cessna 182 on saturday at Madera Parachute Club (or whatever) and can say I actually enjoyed it. Dave the DZO looked my stuff over than said I think we will only put 2 others in with you on the load. :P Well when the time came it only ended up being two of us. Anyway, I can say I actually enjoyed it and it was different standing outside the aircraft hanging onto the strut. Launched the two way and had a great time. Anyway thought I would share, and prefer the bigger aircraft but wouldn't mind another Cessna jump.

Got to love those 182's. Still one of my fav's. call me old fashion but hey love the V exit

I like the 182 because no matter where you sit, you can hold onto a couple of walls and the ceiling. :)

On climbing out of the 182, you can keep your feet on the wheel / wheel cover and swing around under the strut so you're sort of hanging under the strut, standing on the wheel / wheel cover. On the ground it's harder than in the air, where the wind pushes on your back and helps hold you up. Once nice thing about this position is you can look in the windshield at the pilot. :)
Also, with two people exiting the 182 you can have one person drop off from the position I just described, at the same time someone leaves the normal poised position. The jumpers can track together for a short or long time and the top jumper deploys first.

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

If you want real fun, hang by your legs under the step (watch the brake line and don't wear baggy pant legs) or try the imfamous toe hang! Just try not to dent the leading edge:P
I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.

Anyway thought I would share, and prefer the bigger aircraft but wouldn't mind another Cessna
jump.

My first 30 or so jumps were out of a 182. Some advantages I can think of immediately, compared to
the Twin Otter and Caravan jumps I've done since then:

- You can almost always get a load up. It only takes 2 or 3 jumpers who want to go for most DZs
to fly one. Handy on slow days.

- Easier to get in the plane - no ladder.

- Easy to review the panel on your way into the plane, in case you want to suggest to the pilot that a
pre-flight stop at the fuel pump might be in order.

- When somebody farts on the way up, you have a much smaller pool of suspects.

- Sitting on the floor is easier than sitting on side benches in an Otter or Caravan. In the turbines,
the rate of climb is enough that you have to sit funny to keep from sliding towards the back. I
have jumped an Otter with straddle benches that was better in this respect, but sitting on the
floor is better yet, I think.

- Lots of things to hang on to. When you are a student and paranoid about falling out when they
open the door for the guy who's doing a hop'n'pop, this is reassuring.

- When you're in the door, you can easilly talk to the pilot about the spot. On the other hand, if you
tell him the spot sucks and he's a crummy pilot, he can easily kick you out of the plane. :)

- I think it's easier to deduce that there is a definite relationship between when _you_ decide to climb
out and where you're at when you open.

- Possibility of the "bat hang" exit.

- If there isn't a step, possibility of much entertainment for the pilot or the rest of the load when the
pilot "forgets" to use the wheel brake when you're climbing out.

- The pilot can close the door himself. I've seen a couple pilots turn or bank to get the door mostly
shut, then reach over with one hand and secure the latch.

Eule
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.

Yeah....my first 700 or so jumps have mostly been out of a Cessna. It's great! You get to be real cozy with the cute boys during the 22.5 minute climb to altitude. Just gotta make sure they don't accidentally touch your boobie. :o

I use to even take my board out of the Cessna. Followed tandems out even. It improves ones flexibility and spatial relations.

Can't beat a 182 with a stick...;)

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail