GAZ14

PD Sabre2

Hi, just after some advice, a Sabre2 is up for sale at $600 or £380, i`ve agreed to buy the canopy and even got him to drop the price alittle. He wants to use a company called `Buysafe` who I`ve never heard of but since checking out seem ok. Also I`ve just checked out the price of this canopy new and it`s around £1,200 or $2,000ish. The canopy i`m looking at was made Feb 05, I`m thinking the price is a bit on the cheap side? Has anyone out there dealt with `Buysafe`? Any input will be wwelcome.

Caveat emptor dude - that is VERY VERY cheap. Bear in mind that if a deal looks to good to be true...

It could be ok - get it checked out by a rigger before making ANY money available to the seller. Seriously.

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.

Hi, just after some advice, a Sabre2 is up for sale at $600 or £380, i`ve agreed to buy the canopy and even got him to drop the price alittle. He wants to use a company called `Buysafe` who I`ve never heard of but since checking out seem ok. Also I`ve just checked out the price of this canopy new and it`s around £1,200 or $2,000ish. The canopy i`m looking at was made Feb 05, I`m thinking the price is a bit on the cheap side? Has anyone out there dealt with `Buysafe`? Any input will be wwelcome.

I reported it as a scam last night. It looks very, very sketchy.

Based on the ad, the buyer doesn't know much about it, and they had another ad set up for a brand new Mirage G3 G4, which looked like the description and picture was ripped from the MIrage website.

Ask to use ebay's recommended escrow service

www.escrow.com

They will probably say "I don't want to use them as the charges are higher", so it might be an idea to say that you will pay the charges, if they refuse this, its defintely a scam.

Oh and get the serial number and check its valid with PD.

BOOM Headshot

I got a great deal on a complete system with cypress on DZ.com that seemed to good to be true, but it turned out to be perfectly legit.

Dude was getting out of the sport and giving the money right to his exwife. It was a reasonably sketchy deal as he didn't have a phone I could reach him at, he dropped the price by $300 without me even asking if we could get the deal done within a couple days, because he was moving out of town, ect...

But he had no problem giving the rig to a rigger and my rigger contacted his rigger to verify the condition of the rig. My rigger was satisfied with his rigger knowledge and understanding.

Everything worked out in my case and was able to get a complete rig in great shape for $1,500. I figure I easily could have paid $3,000 for the same rig under different circumstances with a guarentee that everything was on the up and up.

When I'm faced with that kind of sketchy deal I ask my self: If everything goes bad and I lose everything will I be able to live with it?

"I work for a friend who sells alot on EBAY. She wishes that she never got involved with BUYSAFE. After she signed up she started getting so much junk mail and sales phone calls. She even filed a complaint report with a local consumer protection authority. I think BUYSAFE gets your information and sells it to anyone who will buy it. My friend is scared because they even have her social security number, birthday, bank account numbers and credit card. This is identity theft stuff is terrible."

.-.

Have him give you the serial number on the canopy, and any other details, like color pattern... Then Check with PD to see if they think it is stolen. There are other stolen gear databases too. I think USPA has one, including DZ.com.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

Don't count on it being on a stolen list. A favorite tactic of scammers is to copy someone elses ad and then repost it as their own. They then sell you something they don't have. An escrow agent will not know the difference between a bag full of fabric and a parachute. They will approve the transaction based on their lack of knowledge of a parachute.

I've heard of this happening in the world of high end auto parts. They sell you a $2000 intake manifod or other part and ship the escrow agent a box containing a $9.99 part at Autozone. Excrow agent does'nt know what he's looking at but what ever he has is in good condition and the buyers money has cleared so they complete the transaction.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I've recently been putting together a new rig and selling my old gear. I've been following the common advice from here on dz.com with good results and everyone feels comfortable with the deal then.
When buy or sell-offer to send the item to their local dz/rigger; you can actually address it to the dz, attn: the riggers name. Ask the rigger to act as broker; most are more than willing to. I of course insist on paying my rigger for the inspection, and the beer....
This addresses the problem of someone not knowing a piece of material from a canopy. If they won't agree to this, then buyer beware.....good luck!

I sent the same seller and email asking about the size of the mirage container they are selling. The response is posted below.

I'm almost certain it's a scam. This guy obviously knows absolutely nothing about what he's selling.

Can't send Pics due to copyrights? BS.

The language (shitty english) is similar to other scam emails I've received.

Also, the seller claims to be in the UK, but lists the item for sale in USD, which is something I've seen on most of the scams.

Hello

The size is 60(i think) sorry but i am not a profesionist in this bussines, i`ve buyed this pieces
from a man who was in marine......and i thinkt that i can get a pretty price on them.

You wish just the Mirage G3 or both??

About pictures.....I can't send the pictures due to the copyright law that forbids me to send
the pictures in case they are used for illegal purposes! And i don`t wanna risk

I hope you understand me and we will be able to make this bussines!!

Where are you from?

Thanks, Dumitru

I reported it as a scam yesterday, but it's still up in the classifieds.

IMHO - Sounds like a scam! I had someone hijack my ebay and yahoo accounts and try to sell swiss watches - this is almost word for word! :D

To be sure I asked him for the Serial #, and after comparing it to some of the Mirages listed in the stolen gear database, the serial # I was given isn't even in the same format as the others (It had about 6 extra digits and 2 letters). :P

It`s definatley a scam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I asked him for a serial number which i then checked with the PD office and guess what!?......... You got it, it does`nt exist! He`s scamming through a e-bay company called Sunshineelec who sell electrical goods, that`s how he`s got an account with `buysafe` . They are a legit company with a decent record so i`d imagine there oblivious! Told me he was in Romania! I`ve reported it too. Won`t be buying any canopy that i can`t see, touch & sniff first!!!