jkbernstein

Looking for Z-Hills Magic Carpet Ride videographer John O'Donnell

I was on this jump (a.k.a. the Magic Carnage Ride) over the past weekend and bought a copy of John's incredible photo of the exit. Unfortunately, the picture spent three days in a van in the hot Florida sun; the emulsion melted and stuck to the plastic cover it was in. I'm trying to track John down to get another copy, and to ask him to put the video on skydivingmovies.com. John, are you out there, or does anyone know how to find him?

A copy? So that I could have TWO melted pictures, since they both would've been sitting in the van for three days?

I was gonna ask you if you had any videos of John's and/or an email address, but clearly you're no help at all.

(Why is there not an emoticon for someone with their fingers in their ears, sticking out their tongue and going "PPPPPPPPPFFFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTTTTTTTTT!"?)

We had 18 people, a ten-second ride before things went to shit, AND a premature deployment which nearly took out my friend Germ - talk about kick-ass video. Beat that! :P

OK, you win. Our's was only half as big (3x3), but we held it together for at least 20 secs (maybe 30), so there!:P

PM TK and he can provide your contact info to John.

Normally, we limit the MC to 12 people. Over that - it tends to bend back on itself in the middle and funnel. 9-12 flies well.

Also, as you know, there can be a lot of bumping going on. As a safety measure, anyone with a legstrap throwout should have the legstrap on the outside edge of the MC. Check bridles too. B|

Whoever came up with the big-way MC idea is one crazy MF'er.

Probably Johnny. We were sitting around trying to think up something new. It was kind of a modified tube thing.

Johnny and I were watching the video. It came out and then flattened out. Instead of going head down, it wobbled across the sky belly down. One of us said, "That looks like a magic carpet flying across the sky" and the name stuck.

I bet our Magic Carpet in Eloy was better than your magic carpet!

Heard over the loudspeaker:

"Anyone who knows how to do a ... floor ... jump. anyone that knows how to do a floor-jump, please come to manifest ... wait, it's a carpet-dive ... anyone that knows how to do a carpet-dive, please check in with manifest"

Or something to that effect :D
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

I bet our Magic Carpet in Eloy was better than your magic carpet!

Heard over the loudspeaker:

"Anyone who knows how to do a ... floor ... jump. anyone that knows how to do a floor-jump, please come to manifest ... wait, it's a carpet-dive ... anyone that knows how to do a carpet-dive, please check in with manifest"

Or something to that effect :D

You mean it wasn't some chick wanting to munch carpet? :P

Really. That's funny. I never heard it - I was just packing next to the DZ.com tent when TallGuy was collecting people. Sure a fun ride.

*ahem* that's Jerm, with a J, thank you very much ;)

Wish i'd been wearing video for the "looking directly down at a developing premie" angle, but alas.

It WAS an ass-kickin dive, though
B|

Landing without injury is not necessarily evidence that you didn't fuck up... it just means you got away with it this time