cocheese

How many lives have been saved by AADs ?

I know of two here at SSM since I first started jumping in May of 1999.The first was a jumper on the pops state record in 2000.Jumper was a local jumper who was knocked unconcious when he collided with another jumper during breakoff.AAD fired and he came to just as he crashed into the runway.Suffered a broken arm and bruises.The ironic thing is that he was the first recipient of an AAD cypress that was donated to him through a drawing that Phil and Deb Chappell purchased by setting aside a % of each jump ticket.As long as the jumper kept jumping they could use the AAD.If they gave up the sport then the AAD would be given to another skydiver that did not have the means to purchase one. Brad Slager,if only you would have had second AAD. Blue Skies, Dave

When I started jumping they would not let you have an altimeter until you had at least 25 jumps. The wisdom was not to fixate on the gadget and actually think!

But, we did get a stopwatch and we learned to count, look at the ground and the horizon. I was taught to not trust an altimeter.

A 10 second delay was a 10 second delay.

Sure, but it's a lot easier, and more accurate, to count to 10 for a 1000ft drop, then for an AFF student to count to 40 something for a 5500ft pull height. And their eyes are on the AFF-I as they do their more detailed dive flow. Not the ground, and most of the time not the horizon.

Here is an interesting story. I know of one AFF instructor who got knocked out when the student kicked him at opening. His Cypres fired and he woke up on the ground. He'd be dead if it wasn't for that cypres.

Here is the interesting part. He sold his gear and the dropzone bought the cypres and put it in a Student rig. 2 years to the day that it saved his life, it missfired. Luckily only the pilot chute came out at about 500 feet The student had been under her main since 4000 ft.

TRUE STORY!!!!
David

"Socrates wasn't killed because he had the answer.......he was killed because he asked the question."