mistersam

Want to learn, need your opinion

I have never skydived before, but I am going to do my 1st tandem soon. I will most likely want to train until I can skydive on my own.

Unfortunately, I'm not made of cash :( I am concidering learning by the static line method which is about 1/2 the price of the AFF.

What do you think? Can I really jump on my own after having completed static-line training? How does it compare to the AFF?

What do you think? Can I really jump on my own after having completed static-line training?

:D:D:DYES!!! (In fact, with SL you jump on your own from the word go, but I guess what you are really asking is will you be cleared for self-supervision)

As to SL vs AFF, there are many threads here, do a search; they can get quite heated. Generally people tend to like whatever they have done themselves. I did a bit of both and can see advantages to both. AFF is more expensive but is faster. Either way, you will reach a point where you (a) cleared for solo jumps and (b) graduate off student status.
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

I learned to skydive via Static Line only because of the cost aspect of it. That was '92 and after I had a pilot's licence also. Cost was the only factor of why for me AFF was the lesser over Static Line.

Having gone through a GOOD Static course I believe that you can be just as good a skydiver as someone having done the AFF Course.

Obvious probs AFF vs STATIC-

AFF PRO'S-
1) Direct Supervision
2) Fast from nothing to A licence (Many less stages!)
3) Full Freefall feeling from the first jump (IE- 10,000 feet is most likely the first skydive on the AFF course.)

STATIC PRO'S-
1) Cost per jump - Have to repeat a jump the cost is MUCH less than AFF
2) Possibly more self confidence in that you are in control of what you are doing a little more than with AFF.

AFF CONS -
1) Have to repeat a jump then there is a lot more cost involved to do that.

STATIC LINE CONS-
1) Further in the course you may not receive the feedback direct from an instructor flying next to you that an AFF student would - Hence any small flying errors are harder to rectify.
2) Many more stages means that you cannot do the course in a small amount of time which is possible with AFF.

These are just a few points - flame away.......

BSBD!! -Mark.

"A Scar is just a Tattoo with a story!!!"

Note: my response assumes you are in the U.S, since there is no location information in your profile.

Whichever program you choose, you have to complete a minimum of 25 jumps to get your A license. The overall cost of those jumps will likely be less if you go the static line route.

Both programs are designed to allow you to complete the skills needed to get an A license. They take a different approach to get you there, but both will get you there. As others have suggested, use the "Search Posts" feature above ... you'll find lots of discussion on this topic.

Re: money in general - you may find that you end up spending less overall if you can save up until you are able to jump on a relatively consistent basis. If you can only afford one jump a month, you will be much more likely to have to repeat jumps, which will cost you more overall.

edit because I said "more" when I meant to say "less." Now I think my post makes sense.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

How much is an average AFF course in different areas of the world?

At our club, we do both SL and AFF. However, it being a club and all, instructors aren't paid for the jumps. Member can loan rigs and so forth. The student pays for his or her own slot, plus the slot of the instructor(s).

13k here is about $20, which for level 1-3 means $60 a jump and for 4-7 $40 a jump . So, at least here, there isn't really a huge difference of price between static line and aff.

I understand that at commercial dropzones, the difference is quite significant?