paulmm3

Learning

I'm looking to get into the sport and make my first jump soon. However, the DZ nearest to me doesn't have SL or AFF; it's got a program with 5 Tandem jumps, 5 IAFs, 5 solo freefalls, and 10 RW coached jumps. It's certainly a significant drive (2-4 hours) to get to any other DZ, but it's doable. Anyways, how much better are the AFF and SL methods to this one, if at all? Should I find a place that offers one of these two or just head to the place about half an hour from my house with the program I mentioned?

The method offered is probably best. From what it sounds like, that program will take you straight to your A license in exactly 25 jumps which is a good thing, and youll be a sound and safe skydiver from the start. The downside is that it will probably cost a lotmore loot. Research the other DZs, figure out which one you feel most comfortable and go with that. :-) clear skies, be safe, have fun!
So there I was...

Making friends and playing nice since 1983

Im no instructor so dont take my advice

I would drive to another dz and do AFF
5 tandems just seems like a waste of money

I'm assuming these are learning tandems, not fun rides. There is a dz.commer, an instructor, I can't remember who (was hoping he would chip in) who has stated that he thinks this kind of progression is best. Exit fear is minimized a bit on the first few jumps and you have someone right with you showing you canopy control.
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

We can't tell where you are or what DZ you're talking about. Without that information, the help we can give will be limited.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

Typically a tandem progression is the way to learn. Students repeat fewer dives and are better canopy pilots (having learned hands on with a TI for the first few jumps).

However, 5 seems a bit much. 3 is what you'll typically see. 1 Intro, then a Cat A and a Cat B.

I'm not saying that this DZ's program is good or bad, just commenting on the tandem progression method. However, with any method, its only as good as the instructors.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Sounds like the closest DZ is offering a decent program.
The best programs incorporate a variety of methods at different levels.
For example, most schools now start with a tandem or three to get students over high fear levels during their first jump. Usually by the second or third tandem, an instructor can tell if a student is bright, strong, flexible, relaxed, intelligent, etc. to learn anything more.
Then 2 or 3 static-line or IAD jumps are good to teach the basics of steering a canopy on your own.
If a DZ is near wind tunnel, they often send students over for a few minutes to learn the basics of arching, reading altimeters, pulling stable, etc.
Then AFF/PFF instructors take students up to teach them basic freefall survival skills.

Be wary of AFF schools that promise to train you in only 7 jumps, because they "graduate" students with only the bare minimum of freefall survival skills and you still need to do another dozen coached dives to prepare you for your A License.

Finally, most schools include 6 to a dozen consolidation dives to refine skills to the A License level.
While the program offered by the your closest DZ may sound expensive, it will take you all the way to A License level in the fewest jumps.