rickanderson

new kc dz not opening?

IF that is true...I am so happy. Its a great day in skydiving, we all need to do anything we can do to keep the sport from progressing. Especially in the midwest. The worst thing you could do is to bring a turbine in between Denver and Chicago.

Come on people, if we all chip in and work really hard, we could get rid of skydiving all together in just a few short years. Follow the example of these outstanding members of the skydiving community and go down to you local airport and explain to them how bad the sport is for them.

Hope to see you all on the ground soon!

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."

The way I understand it, this is how the city got rid of the previous dz. They require a 1 million dollar liability insurance policy for any business operating at the airport and this insurance doesn't exist for our sport.

My question is, how did things get this far before this issue surfaced? It seems like this would be the first thing that would need to be addressed before any of the LifeFlight concerns came up. It certainly seems like none of the energy spent on either side of this issue had any effect on the outcome.
Fuck The Details

Although the city of Harrisonville did not approve our lease for office and hangar space, we will still be opening April 1st.

Since we did not get the ground facilities that we had hoped for, initially our operation will be a mix of tents and trailers (as we like to think, every day will be a boogie at the Kansas City Skydiving Center).

We have purchased 10 acres of land adjacent to the airport, and once all permits are obtained, we will begin building world-class facilities on this property. In the meantime, we appreciate your patience as we continue to grow.

We have received an overwhelming amount of support from jumpers all across the midwest. We look forward to seeing everyone April 1st!

Blue Skies,

Paul and Joanna Eriksmoen
The Kansas City Skydiving Center
http://www.kcskydiving.com
The Kansas City Skydiving Center

That's the spirit! You know, my dad has been operating a successfull dropzone on "restricted" airport property for nearly two decades. They simply refuse to let him take over the FBO hangar and they refuse to let him build another hangar on top of the pad where he runs his "tent and trailer" operation. Oh, there used to be a hangar right where he wanted to put one. They can't stop him from running a business there, but they sure don't make it easy. A good cadre of instructors, locals, and a nice airplane ought to insure your success. Don't give up.

I wish you guys the best of luck.

Chuck Blue
D-12501
AFF/SL/TM-I, BMCI, PRO
Raeford Parachute Center

Good deal! Its great to hear that your still going for it.

The midwest is in dire need of a decent DZ.

Ever been to SDC or the other TURBINE DZs near Chicago, how about East Troy in Wisconsin?

Good Judgment comes from experience...a lot of experience comes from bad
judgment.

I think Joe is refering to the central midwest, Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas and Missouri. It's a large chunk of space with no turbine dz's. Skydive Chicago is the closest to where I'm at and that's over 7 hours away. KC would be less than half that distance.

Skydive Radio

Although the city of Harrisonville did not approve our lease for office and hangar space, we will still be opening April 1st.

Good for you! Almost makes me want to buy a plane ticket to KC just to jump at your new DZ.
(Almost ;))
Wish you "loads" of success!

I think Joe is refering to the central midwest, Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas and Missouri. It's a large chunk of space with no turbine dz's. Skydive Chicago is the closest to where I'm at and that's over 7 hours away. KC would be less than half that distance.

OMG!! When did Sullivan, MO (outside St. Louis) lose their turbine!???

No turbines?
Chris Schindler
www.diverdriver.com
ATP/D-19012
FB #4125

OMG!! When did Sullivan, MO (outside St. Louis) lose their turbine!???

My bad. I forgot about Archway, or are you reffering to Quantem Leap...do they have a turbine? Either way, they are about as far as Chicago from Lincoln and if I'm going that far anyway I'll choose SDC :(

Skydive Radio

Quantum Leap in Sullivan, MO has a very nice Twin Otter. Only time I ever jumped it there were only 8 of us on board. Thanks again guys for sending it up. You all rock up there!!!

Gary "Superfletch" Fletcher
D-26145; USPA Coach, IAD/I, AFF/I
Videographer/Photographer

As a quite spectator I've watched this situation develop. I am a local pilot, a professional and also a property owner. I have complete respect for each and every individuals position of the thread. You are all correct in that skydiving is a wonderful sport and should be allowed to flourish where its permitted. However, the city of Harrisonville carefully weighed the decision as to do business with a new DZO. In light of the circumstances and city specific requirements the DZO, Eriksmoen's were unable to meet the aforementioned requirements. This is in no way the fault of any local operators or the Harrisonville minicipality. The proposed operators commited to requirements that they could not validate and provide.

As a result, the city of Harrisonville denied the proposed agreement for failure to provide sufficient insurance. The DZO couldn't meet the requirements.

In addition, it is proposed that the DZ will operate irregardless of the citys decision. All parties should be advised that Cass County is yet to approve permits or zoning for this operation. This is the same county for which has mandated the shutdown and demolition of a 150 million dollar utility powerplant (Aquila) for failure to obtain these same permits and/or zoning.

As a local business manager who's been involved with some of the largest construction projects in the Kansas City metro area.....including the Kansas City International Airport these are business requirements that are implemented for this very reason. People are not allowed to open any business at any location........ thus the DZ will not prevail. The first time a parachute is open over non-commercial property the authorities will shut it down. Skydivers will have a long drive home. The legal requirements will prevail on April 1. Not for any reason opposed to skydiving but for proper business law. The city of Harrisonville didn't approve the proposed operation and there isn't a chance that Cass county will override the city vote or disregard the local land owners feedback. The purchased property is not zoned or permitted for commercial use. Just the facts.......sorry to rain on your April parade!

This thread is simply based on factual information as a result of the city debate.

The first time a parachute is open over non-commercial property the authorities will shut it down.

If this is true, you, as a pilot, you will suffer the same reprimand. parachutes are VFR aircraft. your allowed to fly over private property aren't you? Then so are we.

skydiving IS aviation. you of all people should know that. you being a local, do you want to get sued or jailed, or "shut down" because you want to practice touch n go's at the airport?

If the city doesn't allow this respectable person to open a skydive center there, SKYRIDE, a VERY VERY Disrespectful business will, I can see it now.

The first time a parachute is open over non-commercial property the authorities will shut it down.

Since when does local zoning laws have jurisdiction over what occurs in the airspace over a specific property? Are you telling me that if you were to fly your commercial aircraft over a property not zoned commercial, your business would be shut down? The DZO stated earlier in this thread, as well as at previous board meetings that they will not begin construction of commercial facilities, nor conduct commercial operations on their property until they get the permits that they need. The city council has made it very clear that the DZ will be opening April 1st, and that there was nothing they could legally do to keep them from operating at the airport. The only decision that they had to make was whether or not to lease them office space. I missed last night's meeting, so I am curious as to what it was that the DZO's weren't able to get. I know that the other DZO's in the area had urged the board to require $1,000,000 in third-party liability insurance. Were they not able to obtain that?

-Tooth

The answer is no........they weren't able to obtain the third party general liability insurance. It doesn't exist for the skydiving industry as I've contacted the largerst privately held commercial broker in the US. Insurance carriers will not offer a million dollar policy for a million dollar premium. In addition, I realize the airspace is not governed by the city but the financial transaction of collecting money and operating for commerce is............... thus a commercial permit and business license is legally required. In order for this business to operate the permits and commerce mandates will have to be fulfilled in Cass County. The county has recently mandated the largest shutdown of a government utility seen to date......as far as I know. They are very serious about permitting and zoning laws....... ask Aquila in KC. Therefore, simply proposing to operate a business due to the idea its in the air doesn't warrant the idea that "we'll do it anyways"

NO WAY!! Your kidding me right? There's a turbine dropzone in Chicago? How come no one ever told me about this? Maybe I'll hop in my car this afternoon and drive 8 hours to go check it out! Or I could go the other direction and hit Denver in 7. Nevermind, they don't need a Turbine in Kansas City I'll just put 196,000 miles on my car this year driving to St. Louis every weekend.

Thanks for the help guys.:S

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."

I know that the other DZO's in the area had urged the board to require $1,000,000 in third-party liability insurance. Were they not able to obtain that?

-Tooth

This wasn't urged by the other DZOs. The city was questioned why they shut down Horizon in 1995 (I was there) for this reason if they were going to allow skydiving there now. I'm not sure if Dana ever sued the city or not or whether there was a statute of limitations but it just seemed odd that things would be different at this city now. Apparently the same rule applies now as it used to. I tried to say something about it back a couple of weeks ago when this all came up. Seems I was right that the same rule applies to commercial businesses in Harrisonville, MO.

Can they find a legal work around? We'll see.
Chris Schindler
www.diverdriver.com
ATP/D-19012
FB #4125