Fallosophy

a bit of help with a presentation please

Hey everyone.

I'm doing a very basic demonstration speech for a class. I stress basic because no one is going into much detail on their topics. My specific purpse satement is this: "To inform my audience how to perform a safe skydive and parachute landing".

My first subtopic is a gear check. My question to you all is if I could please get about 5 basic things on the rig to inspect. When I was jumping I was cleared to inspect my own gear however that was awhile ago and I only attained 22 jumps. So I need to explain to the class 5 or so basic things to inspect on the rig and I just wanted to make sure what I have already is sufficient.

disclaimer: I feel confident with skydiving as a topic because NO ONE, not even me, will use my presentation as actual training for the real thing. This is merely to give some whuffos some basic info.

thank you in advance

Also note handle, straps and pin checks in the aircraft. Explaining the danger of premature deployment in or on the step of the aircraft should be interesting.

Stressing the importance (for males) of a ball-under check should keep it amusing.

Stressing the importance (for males) of a ball-under check should keep it amusing.

I still haven't heard of this, has any bloke had his nads squashed B|

I haven't heard of it either... but I'm glad I did a 'ball check' before my last jump because the opening was definitely a bit 'brisk' and I can see where they could have been somewhat mashed if I hadn't adjusted....
The only naturals in this sport shit thru feathers...

Yup you would be surprised how easily you can lift yourself up by grabbing the front and back riser join:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Also note handle, straps and pin checks in the aircraft. Explaining the danger of premature deployment in or on the step of the aircraft should be interesting.

THere's a picture in the Skydiver's Handbook of a plane seriously damaged by a premature deployment, people are generally amazed by how much damage a piece of fabric can do to a plane.

Re the landing question, might be nice to mention landing patterns - that it's not (supposed to be) a free-for-all of mad skydivers all converging willy-nilly on the same spot of land.
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

I heard it said once that "a line over is better than a ball under".

Many years ago (way before I began skydiving) I was consulting at a company and met a guy who left the US airforce because he had crushed and lost a ball while parachuting. Said he screamed most of the canopy ride down...
:o:P