scaryshari

I Was a Tandem Student!!

:D

I was sooo excited about helping one of our guys get his rating and "jumped" at the chance to do a tandem.

Well....long story cut short....

I got on the plane and was secretly freaking terrified. I wanted my own rig..my own handles..my own stuff and "THERE I WAS" at the mercy of someone else.

It was a strange feeling....

He was awesome/professional and the skydive was flawless.

The only thing that I could have gone without yesterday was a wedgie from a particular person who's name I'll leave out but her initials are KiMMEEE..

Paybacks are hell.:|

:D

is

what? on my harness or during the wedging incident?:P

I was standing in the loading area looking for my CA pillow and my ring...it was quite upsetting. I didn't get a pin check at 9 grand either. I just had a pair of goggles and a little vomit...that's it.

I checked the instructor handles..just in case...He showed me where the drogue release was, main, and reserve...

I just felt so........empppppteeeee.

I even had a true moment of door fear!! :D:D:D

is

LOL! I did 4 tandems when I started skydiving and knowing what I know now I should have been more scared than I was. I can’t imagine doing a tandem now! Rely on someone else to save my life? No thank you! You are a brave woman. So what exactly does it feel like to be totally naked in an airplane?

Thinking about it…still thinking…nope I couldn’t do it no rig - no jump!
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

I gotta tell ya...some very familiar thoughts were running through my head...those thoughts I had as a student

(insert expletive here) Shari, what the are you doing up here...I want down - can I fake a heart attack and get out of this? Shari, when are you gonna learn to keep your big mouth closed...oh gawd, the door, the door, holy crap NOT THE DOOR !!OOOH SH*T!!!

weeeeee!!!! I laughed all the way through freefall. Gotta admit, that I had some pret-ty good altitude awareness:D

I'd do it again:D

is

Must be something in the air! I did my first tandem this weekend also to help someone get their rating.
I was looking for handles the whole time. It really feels wierd not having my own gear on!!!! Was glad to help out though!!!:)
Arizona only has two seasons, Hot and HOTTER!

Did you put the TM through the wringer? There's an extremely funny video of some SDC TMs doing their practice jumps. The passengers, TMs themselves, do everything from swim out the door to sitflying.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. --Douglas Adams

I've done 47 rides on the front (including the 3 to start the sport, and one when I became a TI) mostly for others to get their ratings. Still scares me.

He he he... I did my first ride on the front last week... Well, first as a skydiver, I have one wuffo 7 years ago...

I just earned my AFF rating that day, and there was a guy who I just met who needed an experienced guy for the front for his last student jump - so I thought, "I owe one to the sport - this could be fun." It was a beautiful sunset - so I requested we fly into the sun to watch it set.

I actually had a lot of fun and was not scared...

It was helpful that the rig was equipped with chicken handles for my use, and I was trained how to pull them if needed... So on handle check, I did touch them all as if it was my rig... He told me I could not chop the main without telling him twice that I was going to do so... I laughed and told him, if we got that far, that I would be punching him twice before I took things into my own hands... Or, maybe I just thought that.

The canopy ride was fun. The spot was long. I knew we could make it, but he was less than sure... So I got to be the confident guy... "We will make it no problem... If need be, we will land here, here, or here." I think I was more confident than the TI, and I can't blame him - he had to perform in front of someone who knew the difference between a good and bad landing.

All in all, it was a hell of a lot of fun. I would do it again. He got his rating - and I am glad I could help.

T.

Riding front can be a lot of fun. I have done it over 100 times now and still get a bit "nervy" though.;)

But it has its advantages, being the I/E, I can work the new guys hard and be selective in my Students:P.
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!