Mockingbird

Solution needed for holding risers with arthritic fingers

Can somebody please help me think of a solution for this problem I'm having?

I'm not being allowed to downsize (I'm using a 230 main) until I can do certain things such as Fly and flare the canopy with rear risers, including the pattern and landing flare. (There are other requirements as well, but they aren't a problem for me.) I have arthritis in the middle knuckle of several fingers and I just can't find a comfortable way to grip the risers that would allow me to actually flare with them.

Using the toggles is not a problem because I slide my whole hand into them and pull down on them with my palms.

Gripping something small is really hard for me, especially with my left hand. My upper body and arms are getting stronger from a home gym I bought, but my fingers seem to be a hopeless case.

Being able to steer and flare with rear risers can be a life-saver, so I need to come up with a solution--- a different way to place them in my hands, or SOMETHING. Does anyone have an idea to share?
Blue skies & happy jitters ~Mockingbird
"Why is there something rather than nothing?"

Have you tried grabbing the risers with your thumb pointing downward, followed by rotating your hands back to thumb-up? That works for me on big canopies and/or slippery riser/glove combinations etc. Maybe tacky gloves might also help a bit?

ciel bleu,
Saskia

So that the riser kinda' turns into a J shape when your thumb is pointing back up?

It sounds hard; but if I understand what you're suggesting, I'll try it. I'LL TRY ANYTHING. I'M GETTING DESPERATE.

Does that work on front risers, too?

Yes it also works on front risers, however most sports canopies have diveloops (or blocks) which makes this unnecessary. On manta's however I got this to work, even though it didn't dive worth a damn :ph34r:

Oh yeah, a tip for making frontrisering much easier: stab the brakes first, then quickly pull in your fronts while the canopy is still recovering there will be much less pressure.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

If you were my student and just couldn't do it due to a medical issue, I would.

1. sew up a set of dive loops on the inside of the rear and front risers so you could get your hand in them and be able pull down with out all the pressure in the knuckles from the gripping.

Not my first choice more work involved for one student.

2. Take a set of toggles and attach them to the rear riser links with 550 (or other line) and tack them down to keep from flap'n around and out of the way or sew more velcro for them to stay in place till needed.
This would be on the back side on one side or the other of the brake line.
This would be the most simple way to do it and would allow you to put your whole hand in just like a regular toggle.

If your dzo and riggers won't help you and keep holding you back due to a handicap, go some place that will go the extra mile to help you.

Many dz's students rigs don't have dive loops on student rigs but we require students (now) to learn to fly with all inputs.

Not everyone is strong enough to pull down on risers by just grabbing the plain riser.
I hear many women students express this and guys too, it takes a lot to pull down on a bigass manta or other skyboat.

More dz's should address this if we are going to require students to fly bigass canopies with risers and landing with only a rear riser flare, I know many people who wouldn't be strong enough to do a good flare on a 288 manta or skyboat.

~
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

Some good ideas above. Also something as simple as a pair of gloves might help. Neumans are highly tackified and help a lot with griping power.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

To expand on gloves. Neuman gloves are made for football and can often be found at local sporting goods stores. Dunhams has them here. http://www.weplay.com/Neumann/football/gloves/receiver.html

One very experience jumper friend of mine but about 1 1/2 diameter welded rings on his front connector links. If you can reach them this gives something to hold on to and he prefers this to other dive loops. You can also tie tubular webbing to the ling using a water knot to form a temporary dive loop.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Some schools wait until students progress to 230 square foot canopies before teaching the finer points of stalls, etc.
This because Manta 290s are so docile that they are difficult to stall and the whole teaching students how to wrap extra steering lines around their hands is a nuisance that they will rarely use after graduating.

Yes and there a bunch I know that don't have any other then 288 mantas or 220 raiders/furys in the fleet and no newer canopies and they have no mods on the risers to use.

I have heard many students talk about how they couldn't pull down much if at all.

I think Terry said better what I what thinking, there are many ways to rig up a way to help this jumper do what needs to be done with out killing his hands or risking a full riser flair when he can't grab a riser.

My left hand is all busted up and I have many problems with it myself and I can understand where this jumpers is coming from, we have to learn to live with the pain and the fact you just can do somethings anymore and it will never get better.

~

Have you thought about getting a cortizone shot in your hands. This dude I work with has to go get one about every four or five months so he can deal with the pain and do his job.
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, th

Your suggestions are good; and I appreciate your seeing the broader implications--- I mean for others out there who are having the same problem and what can be done by many dzs.

I'm in a hurry to get to work, but I just wanted y'all who replied to know that I appreciate it! Back in 8 hours! ;)

Oh yeah, a tip for making frontrisering much easier: stab the brakes first, then quickly pull in your fronts while the canopy is still recovering there will be much less pressure.

What do you mean by "stab" the brakes?

If you were my student and just couldn't do it due to a medical issue, I would.

1. sew up a set of dive loops on the inside of the rear and front risers so you could get your hand in them and be able pull down with out all the pressure in the knuckles from the gripping.

Not my first choice more work involved for one student.

2. Take a set of toggles and attach them to the rear riser links with 550 (or other line) and tack them down to keep from flap'n around and out of the way or sew more velcro for them to stay in place till needed.
This would be on the back side on one side or the other of the brake line.
This would be the most simple way to do it and would allow you to put your whole hand in just like a regular toggle.

Gee, I wish you were at my dz!

Suppose I could wear something like a toggle or a dive loop on my wrist under my sleeve, and after the canopy opens I could connect them somehow to the rear risers... Can you envision something like that? :S

Do you have a picture of connector links (where he connects the rings)?-- I don't know for sure what part of the riser that is. Is it where the four lines join the top of the riser, at that cylindrical-shaped metal thing?

Thanks for the Dunham link-- I'll hold onto it just in case.

I thought about a cortisone shot for about 5 seconds and decided Nuh-uh. Besides, there's not really any swelling in the joints, just pain, and they don't straighten out all the way, so they look a little bent. I don't have any trouble using them to pack, just grasping the risers and pulling for more than about 2 seconds. [:/]

at that cylindrical-shaped metal thing?

Yes he and I are both or have talked about those.
There is not good reason a rigger couldn't set you a system other then it's not your rig or his, it's the dz's.

You need to talk to your DZO,instructors,and a rigger about what Terry and I have been talking about and see if they can/will help you.

I jumped at SSM while traveling with out a rig, They had newer canopy designs at that time (few years ago) those newer canopies have lighter riser pressure then older student canopies, so it don't take a lot to pull them down, but if you can't close your hand all the way your shit out of luck, so you need a handle of sorts in order to do as they are asking you to do.

If they won't help you out you need to find a new DZ that will understand your medical issues.
If we can drop blind jumpers and people missing limbs and tandem quads, we damm sure can rig up a set of handles for you to use.

I'm sure if you start with talkng to the DZO you will know right then and there if they will help you or not,
if he says to a rigger to hook you up your good to go, if he says stop being a pussy, walk out get in your car and go to skydive temple and go talk to the dzo there and explain what's up. Repeat if needed.

~

Thanks, Stratostar-- that's the perfect solution... to tell the truth, I didn't even think about talking to the dzo about it. But going straight to the top will no doubt save me a lot of time. (I don't see the dzo very often; I guess that's why I didn't think of going to him with the problem.)

TANX. :)

Is the canopy on Type 8 risers or type 17?.

Type 8 are the 1 3/4 inch wide risers
Type 17 are 1 inch wide risers.

Have you ever heard of Vet Wrap?

Vet Wrap is used to wrap human and animal (especially horses) joints such as ankles and knees. You can find it at most feed stores. It's actually 3M Coban medical wrap but usually you'll find the stuff at the tack shop to be cheaper.

CRW Dogs have been known to wrap the front risers to give the riser more mass to grab onto. I haven't tried in on rears but it may work if you concentrate the wrap at the top of the riser and over the Rapid link and slider bumper. If the brakeline drags across it, it really should be no big deal.

It sticks to itself and can be taken off and won't leave any residue.

It's a temporary solution or at least something worth trying.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Hi, Hookitt. I think the risers are the wider ones (type 8).

I really like this idea. (Yes, I'm acquainted with VetWrap; I had a hunting dog!) (Nice neon colors, too!) I think I'll take a couple of them with me in case the dzo says to go for it. Thanks.

What do you mean by "stab" the brakes?

Going to deep brakes really quick, for a short period of time. Hands up - down - up - grab front risers and pull.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Even better than stabbing the breaks....and its a very simple procedure regardless...is to hold your canopy in deep breaks until it goes into steady slow flight then bring your hands back up to full flight and instantly dive using your front risers. This deep breaks configuration take the load factor off of hte canopy some and makes it easier to pull on risers. Also really lean into the turn whichever way you go. THis will help. And I'm talking REALLY lean. As hard as you can in the direction you are going.

Cheers,
Travis