TrickyDicky

Callapsing Canopy after landing

How do you collapse your canopy?

I have been told the best way, after landing, is to let go of your toggles and just drop the canopy over to one side, using the risers. When you pull down a toggle, you just cause the canopy to catch air in the back, cause more drag and if its windy, and you're on a bigger caopy, you're gonna get dragged all over the place.

A canopy is designed to generate lift in wind. I have stood there quite happily before with a canopy flying above my head, with no drag pulling me around at all. And I have seen lower experienced just pull a toggle to collapse a canopy and just get dragged over the field.

Am I right in my reasoning/methods?

UK Skydiver for all your UK skydiving needs.

If you pull one toggle all the way down and leave the other all the way up, the canopy will flip over and dive into the ground. At the same time, turn in the direction of the pulled-down toggle (ducking under the riser on that side) and face the canopy. Then, simply walk toward the canopy. it cannot inflate without tension on the lines. So, as soon as you step toward it, it will deflate. The wind speed governs how fast you need to do all of this. If it's really windy and you take time to think about it too long, you'll be on your ass. As you go toward the canopy, you have to move faster than the wind is blowing. If your pilot chute or bridle are on the ground in front of you as you move toward the canopy, step on it. This will also keep the parachute from inflating, as will stepping on the trailing edge. This will allow you to control it while you gather it up.

Remember, the trick is to keep tension off the lines. Run toward and around the canopy, don't pull against the lines. Parachutes are like Pit Bulls, if you fight them they get more excited and kick your ass. ;)

Kevin
======================
Seasons don't fear the Reaper,
nor do the Wind, the Sun, or the Rain...

What Kevin said...

Also, in no/light winds, after I land I immediately pull my canopy by the risers to the ground.

I learned this the hard way...

After a great jump and uneventful (so far) landing, I just dropped my toggles to let the canopy fall over on its own. Next thing I knew, I woke up on the ground after having the wind knocked out of me.

My friend thought he would clear the top of my canopy and land further ahead of me. His foot caught the tail of my canopy, which lifted me up and slammed me face first into the ground. It happened so fast. I didn't know what occurred until somebody told me, when I came to.

So, a broken nose and sore body taught me this the hard way.

Parachutes are like Pit Bulls, if you fight them they get more excited and kick your ass.

:D That was awesome!

Oklahoma Jumpers chime in!

If we're jumping on a no-wind day (severe thunderstorm warning or below), the canopy just kind of collapses by itself. For F1 through most F3 tornadoes, hauling one toggle in about halfway does it. Some F3s and most all F4s require you to haul one toggle in all the way, turn around, and run towards your canopy. For an F5 you don't have to do anything at all - within a few seconds a cow or pickup truck or small house will land on your canopy and collapse it for you.

Seriously - with about 40 jumps in Oklahoma in February, March, and June through October, the most I've had to do is turn around, sit down, haul one toggle in all the way, haul on the risers on that side a little, get up, and walk about halfway to the canopy. This is with a 280 ft^2 student canopy, too.

Eule
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.

If you're being drug, just keep pulling in on a toggle. The canopy will eventually collapse; really. Then consider whether you want to go up again if you were just jumping in winds that didn't allow you to control your landing well enough :P

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

If you're being drug, just keep pulling in on a toggle. The canopy will eventually collapse; really.

That's what I've done, most of the time, and it worked. Just that one time was exciting. I wasn't being drug around by the canopy, but I sat down as it seemed easier to deal with from that position.

Then consider whether you want to go up again if you were just jumping in winds that didn't allow you to control your landing well enough :P

I already won a Titanium Prize for landing in winds/PLF technique and therefore have a few more months to think about it. :)

Eule
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.