drew7682

Causes of hard main openings?

Hi,
I recently had a long layoff from jumping, then did a AFF level 7 check out dive which went well. On my second jump using rental gear (235 main), i kept things simple just doing minor turns and practise pulls. However i had a really hard opening that felt like someone had punched me in the stomach as the main opened. Landing was uneventful, but i've ended up with a suspected bruised rib which is still hurting 4 days later!

One suggestion that seems likely is that i was moving forward during deployment. I know my inexperience and layoff time have not helped either.

Does anyone have an ideas on what causes sharp openings and ways of stopping them happening again in the future??

Did you pack the main yourself?

The slider may have been off the bumpers in the packjob, for example. The forward movement does make a difference, but if the packjob is trash, then there's not much you can do in the air to save yourself from a slammer opening.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

The trashier the pack job on my XF2, the better it opens. This was not true with my old Sabre. One thing that I have found that may help your cause is not rolling the tail as many times. I roll it tightly about 6-7 times, but that is it.

Just my 0.02

Here's to the Breezes that blows through the Trezzez.....

A 235 main huh? Sounds like a Falcon. They've been known to open rather briskly. They are quite tameable, but if a falcon is packed like a new school parachute, it will open fast.

Unless you were head down, I wouldn't buy the forward movement suggestion.

It's tough to offer packing suggestions unless you're the one packing it.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Tighten the leg straps so tight that it is hard to walk. Works for me. Until I did this my openings were vicious. (I think I might have cracked a rib while on student gear the Spring before last--hurt to breathe for a month.) Got videoed--nothing changed except that my leg straps were tight.
"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

Charles Fort, commenting on the many contradictions of astronomy