BannanaGirl

Got my A licence and first chop!

Congratulations BananaGirl :)
A licence :D !

1st chop (more) :D!! :)
Funny you had a feeling on the way up.. I've always had a feeling I'm gonna have a lot of jumps before my first cutaway. We'll see...

Maybe see you in the sky sometime, I'm a wondering nomad who'll one day jump at skydive london.

Like your sig line B|
but what do I know

Up until that ride up I had in my head I would have 150 jumps before my first cutaway but I think that can be just wishful thinking and not wanting to face the truth that it can happen any jump so be ready for it. I always check my handles and do my EP's before every jump and ironically I did it lots of times before that jump.

And yes it will be cool to see you in the sky sometime. Make a point of making a visit soon!:)

I'd never be so complacent to think it couldn't! You're right could happen anytime, whatever you think.. thats's why I practice EP's as soon as I'm kitted up, on the way to the plane & in the plane. Jus' keep finding those handles! Also every so often in freefall, also every so often under canopy.

I want to handle my first cutaway with the calm correct precision that you showed!

Well done again it must feel good to know that when the shit really hits the fan you can save your own life.

:)
but what do I know

I had in my head I would have 150 jumps before my first cutaway... ...it can happen any jump so be ready for it

Great point! I had my first reserve ride on my last jump as a student. The DZ had old rigs, still fitted with leg-pulls. I completed a two-way, turned and tracked off, went to pull - the pilot chute would NOT come out. Gave it everything I had on the second try and the thing wouldn't budge. Went for the reserve handle and missed it the first time (wearing the WRONG kind of gloves). At this point my mind's eye is seeing the ground rushing up to meet me. LOL Second try I got the reserve open, only to have line twists all the way to the canopy... got the line twists cleared at about 1000ft, just enough time to clear a peach orchard and a fence before landing in a pasture. The DZO showed up in his car and the first thing he asked me, "Where's my bloody handle?!" LOL Seems in my haste to live I'd dropped his reserve handle - gladly paid the $65 he demanded to replace it.

Point is... I could have looked at it one of two ways, either let it spook me into not jumping anymore, or tell myself that I just proved I could handle a crisis (albeit a small one) and gain confidence from it. I chose the latter! ;)

-Kevin

That sounds almost identical to my first chop! Mine was on my 35th jump. I opened up in a turn, looked up and put my right hand in my right toggle, then reached for the left and it wasnt there. Then my vision zoomed in (like in the cartoons) to my slider, which was about 1/2-2/3 of the way down with my toggle caught in a grommet.

Chop, Pull reserve, Count to 5, Poof new canopy. Round canopy (lo-po 26'). Landed between powerlines and trees exactly where i decided to land at 1500' when i realized i wouldnt make it back.

If your brake fired and the toggle actually got sucked through the grommet, you might want to take a look at that system and figure out why it happened and find a way to avoid it in the future. Mine occured on a 23-year-old vector 1, with large keeper rings. I was using the more modern standard-sized toggles, which meant that if i didnt center the top of the toggle over the ring when packing (or if it moved during the opening), it could get sucked through. Eventually, it did. I then got bigger, fatter toggles that dont fit through the ring, and it never happened again.

You definitely made the right decision... sure, it may have been landable on rear risers. But, like me, you didn't feel comfortable attempting that and opted for the reserve, and walked away. Kudos :)
-Ghetto
"The reason death cannot frighten me, is because life has cured me of fear."
Web Design
Cleveland Skydiving

Talking to a few people this has been quiet a common reason to chop in people with lower jump numbers. I am aware that maybe a few hundred jumps down the line how I may react to a problem like this may be completely different, however like you I know it was 100% the right thing to do at the right time in my skydiving career.

Chop, Pull reserve, Count to 5, Poof new canopy.

This makes me chuckle as I remember exactly what the end of my cutaway procedure was.....

Holy (cut)
Shit (away)
I'malive!!!! (reserve!)

That opening was so soft as it is sub terminal, for a second I thought it did'nt work it was that sweet.

Thanks for all the congratulations guys and that. It means a lot to me and I am so looking forward to getting back in the sky this weekend even if the weather is trying to put a stop to that.:)
Blue skies folks!B|

Great point! I had my first reserve ride on my last jump as a student. The DZ had old rigs, still fitted with leg-pulls. I completed a two-way, turned and tracked off, went to pull - the pilot chute would NOT come out. Gave it everything I had on the second try and the thing wouldn't budge. Went for the reserve handle and missed it the first time (wearing the WRONG kind of gloves). At this point my mind's eye is seeing the ground rushing up to meet me. LOL Second try I got the reserve open, only to have line twists all the way to the canopy... got the line twists cleared at about 1000ft, just enough time to clear a peach orchard and a fence before landing in a pasture. The DZO showed up in his car and the first thing he asked me, "Where's my bloody handle?!" LOL Seems in my haste to live I'd dropped his reserve handle - gladly paid the $65 he demanded to replace it.

Point is... I could have looked at it one of two ways, either let it spook me into not jumping anymore, or tell myself that I just proved I could handle a crisis (albeit a small one) and gain confidence from it. I chose the latter! Wink

-Kevin

Are you serious? WTF? I am still a wuffo but I think I would have knocked the guy out in this circumstance.

Are you serious? WTF? I am still a wuffo but I think I would have knocked the guy out in this circumstance.

Yeah I'm serious. LOL In hindsight, it wasn't the best of DZ's for a student. I survived, learned a lot, and now I jump elsewhere. :)
-Kevin

well done.....you have gained your first accolade towards eligibility for the 'Atmosphere hooligan' test....in fact...no....wait....i think its your 2nd??

anyways...well done....we'll have u hooligan mastering in no time my dear.......i will catch you soon (if you aint sold my spare canopy and run away to south america on the proceeds?)

:D

'Atmosphere Hooligan'

AH #001, RANDOM BS#043

Banana girl, I have not forgot you!!

You relplied to my ' oh my god, Im addicted to skydiving' post a few weeks back !!!

Congrats on your A license, Ive got mine too!!

All that waiting around seems so worth it now.

I am not sorry to hear about your chop, like you say, you now have even more respect for skydiving and you know that the reserve canopy actually does work !!

I too have done amazing ' i rock the sky' jumps and plenty of 'muppet' jumps!, I have done some free flying and some 2- ways and the fun justs gets better!!

Keep in touch, it will be nice to compare notes,

Lots of love
Miss3sixty

Skydiving- it has its ups and downs