Jeth

Suggestions for doing a "Mr Potato Head"

Hi,

I'm thinking I'd like to attempt a Mr Potato Head for my 100th. I was thinking it could be a 6-way or 8-way. But I'm just wondering the best way to go about it. Is one person the base and they hold the head, and then the others come in and put pieces? And then what do they do after they've put their piece? Just lurk, or dock on the base? And then can the base person land with the head or do you ditch it?

I have heard about doing this since last year and it sounds like a blast. B| Any suggestions would be appreciated. :)
"At 13,000 feet nothing else matters."
PFRX!!!!!
Team Funnel #174, Sunshine kisspass #109
My Jump Site

We just did one for Daizey's 100th 2 weeks ago. There where a few things we learned on it that I'll pass along. In Daizey's case we had her holding on the the body and kept it through deployment. With her acting as the base the plan was for each person to come in, insert their piece then build a round. There is a potential issue with traffic management if they lurk since the people coming in need a clear path. Also depending on how you are holding the head you may find yourself backsliding pretty good since your hands are together and out in front. Build a line then have the line close to a round to make sure everyone can first get to you then to an end.

Putting the pieces in is pretty hard and it pretty much takes the person to grab the head also and hold it steady as they insert their piece, be prepared for some rough docks during this unless everyone is really good on their bellies. Also bumping of the head can cause pieces to fly out so don't get over the formation.

For climb out on the Otter we found it easier to put pieces in our mouths and then in the dive get them back into their hands since they needed free hands for the climbout and count. We actually launched a two way piece to keep the base stable since the backsliding was a concern on a practice jump with the head.

Hers was a lot of fun, but I want to do it again to shoot better pictures.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Thanks for the tips! Building the line first and then going to a round sounds like a good plan. Did you have her holding the head because you figured that would be easier? I'm thinking maybe I'd want a very good stable flyer for the base since they will have to hold onto that thing as well as stay stable while people are crashing into them. (Knowing me I'd drop it! :S)
And it sounds like she got rid of it at pull time? Any way an experienced jumper could keep it?

So did you guys get all the pieces in before pull time?

Thanks!
PFRX!!!!!
My Jump Site

Daizey kept it through deployment both times we jumped it. Take the back door off and loop a pull up cord through the door hole and the leg hole and you've got something to hold on to if you want.

She held the head because she wanted to. The person holding the head is the focus of the dive and it was her time to be in the spotlight. We picked a bunch of freefliers to be on the dive, but if you've got good belly skills then three is no reason you can't be the base and have other belly flyers come in and dock to put the pieces in.

We got eyes nose and I want to say an ear in before we broke off.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

1 thing you might want to do is make a limnit on how long you can hang out and try to put your piece in.
Some people can waste a lot of time trying and everyone else just gets to watch until break off
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

We did it!! B| It was a blast, and made for a great video.

I held the head and I had 3 people trying to put pieces in. 2 people made it, and the eyes stayed in all the way down!

If anyone needs an idea for their 100th, I highly recommend this. It was really fun and you get lots of confused looks when you load the plane holding the empty potato head. :D

Thanks everybody who gave me advice and who was on it with me! :)
PFRX!!!!!
My Jump Site