chris_uk

student canopy control

The thing that got me was we were told not to venture past a certain point downwind. I was continually guided past this point however as the new plan was completely different.

To be honest, I would have been fine had I been told the plan had changed, but kept expecting to execute the original plan.

The wind had dropped that's all - 4 students, I was last out with a jumprun pass between us. I did check around me - there was nobody or objects in my path.

We are told as students that all desicions are your own and in no certain terms to rely on anyone else. This is clear when 3 questions in the BPA exam labour this point.

My instructor did not even mention the landing at all. He said I was good all the way.

I guess I am a little embarassed as my gf recorded me from the ground and all I hear is frustrated instructions into the radio as commentry...

Anyways - I landed safely, unhurt and can't wait to go back up again. I will buy some beers and have an informal chat with the instructors.

I was curious to get other skydiver's opinions.

Blue Ones.

Anyways - I landed safely, unhurt and can't wait to go back up again. I

You did it right.

will buy some beers and have an informal chat with the instructors

And now you're planning for the future :ph34r:

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Chris don't be embarrased, I freaked my radio operator way out on my first AFF jump.

I caught thermals along the whole downwind leg of my pattern and I knew I was too high, I turned onto my cross wind and by the time I got to the spot for my 300 turn for final I was way way high.

I should have turned onto final and done S turns, but instead I looped back on the corner, over the trees.:$ So I do a toggle turn with the intention of doing a 360 and being at a better alt for the final. Almost at the end of the turn I get radio instructions to do a hard left... I guess they didn't know what I was doing (I was just making it up as I went)... and this put me even farther over the trees!!!!

I landed fine, but my poor radio operator was grey by the time I landed.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

I must say that I have a little beef with the instructors at my DZ. In my 9 student jumps I've had two landing briefings.

I think I could land on my own if I needed to, but I also feel that there should be alot more focus put on landing briefings.

During AFF, you are given a series of specific tasks...and get a chance to practice them. But once I pull them off, and I'm under canopy, then suddenly I get the radio instructor coming on having me to a variety of different things. There's no consistancy, and I find little is learned. I find the only thing that I've had a chance to really learn, is the time to flare.

I have also brought this up with my DZ, but it hasn't seemed to have helped. Although they are great on the freefall portion review brief/de-brief and preparation.

Now maybe it's just me, and I should pay more attention under canopy, but frankly, I wish that there could be more on ground briefing of the canopy ride. I know that the student is ultimately responsable, but I think a little more focus on the canopy and landing (at my DZ anyway) is necessary for better and more rewarding (and educational) experience throughout the AFF, and possible the IAD program.

My $0.02.
What goes up, must come DOWN!!!

on the other hand, there's always students that don't think and when the radio fails just fly straight and land several miles away....

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Hee!
Hee!
That reminds me of a static-line student, 20-plus years ago.
Over the middle of the airport, I told him to start climbing out of the airplane. His climb out was painfully slow and he did not get to the end of the strut until we were over the edge of the forest. I had to yell "GO!" three times before he finally let go of the strut.
He heard a single "Turn left" instruction on the radio, then nothing. By then he was a good mile from the ground instructor and his chest shielded his radio for the rest of his canopy ride.
He blissfully faced the forest for the rest of his canopy ride.

Guess where he landed after facing the forest for his entire canopy ride?