DustyP

whats the diffrence?

Whats the difference between a backyard operation and a registered DZ?
I have talked to a few of people that have jumped from someone’s own personal equipment and plane. What constitutes that? I keep hearing that there is a dropzone in Wauseon, OH, but I search and nothing comes up. Same for Lansing, MI. If you know the difference let me in!

If I had to hypothesize I would say that, “the difference is AFF and getting licensed”!
The people that I have talked to all said they jumped tandem. Around 8kft

Whats the difference between a backyard operation and a registered DZ? I have talked to a few of people that have jumped from someone’s own personal equipment and plane.

Every skydiving operation has equipment and planes that are the personal property of someone.

There is no national government body which registers DZs, so I don't know what you mean by "registered" DZs.

Whatever you mean by it, just because it's "registered" doesn't necessarily mean that it is automatically better/worse/whatever than other DZs which aren't.

Whats the difference between a backyard operation and a registered DZ?
I have talked to a few of people that have jumped from someone’s own personal equipment and plane. What constitutes that? I keep hearing that there is a dropzone in Wauseon, OH, but I search and nothing comes up. Same for Lansing, MI. If you know the difference let me in!

If I had to hypothesize I would say that, “the difference is AFF and getting licensed”!
The people that I have talked to all said they jumped tandem. Around 8kft

www.uspa.org

.-.

8000 feet is fairly low for tandems, expecially in Ohio where at least 3 of the 9+ DZ's are flying Turbines that go to 13000. The rest are Cessna DZ's that go to typically 10000 feet or higher.

If you are talking to non-jumpers about jumping you will find a lot of them might claim to have none it but get fuzzy on the details since they really never did it. I've had conversations with people that go into detail about their jump, about the gear, etc but when asked fo the city they jumped in they spout off a city that doesn't have a dropzone or something that as an experienced jumper sets off the Bullshit alarms. You typically find these people in bars after a beer or two. Some of them have pretty good stories about how they borrowed a persons rig, and then convinced someone else to fly them around and let them jump, you'll almost alway find them neck deep in BS at that point but they don't know it ;)

As far as USPA member DZ vs Non-Member, there is no real difference. To be a member the DZ pays some dues, promises they won't break any rules and thats about it. I've seen as many rules if not way more broken at those DZ's as I've seen anywhere else. What you should ask is to see the instructors rating card, this will prove that he is current in his profecency level of instruction and that he was able to pass the tests laid out by the industry to show he is able to safely train a student. If the instructor or DZ balks at the requst.. its a really good idea to look else where for instruction.

As far as the city mentioned, http://www.fltplan.com/AirportInformation/USE.htm Their airport listing does not mention skydiving as a regular activity at that facility. I was able to find a website but not sure how current it is: http://members.aol.com/wnt2skydve/page5.html Based on the pricing it looks to be pretty old and outdated. Also every link that points to it also points to DZ's that closed as far back as 2001 so I know they are not updated. Here is a number linked to the page: (419) 335-3993, but I'm pretty sure that you are going to find like a few other DZ's in that area they have closed in the last 4 years.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Two diffrent people, one was a nonjumper the other was. 8000k tandem was in Lansing MI, she said it was a real old plane for 6 that had 7. She said it was real shotty, made it sound like she knew what she was talking about.
The other in Wauseon, OH. Some people had all there own stuff. Plane, Rigs, Land (feild), if you knew them you could go up with them. (backyard operation)