ryan_d_sucks

fearlessness

How fearless would some of you veteran skydivers say you are as to the possiblities/certanties of this dangerous sport? Sometimes I think its more acceptance than disregard. For example.. I accept that I COULD die. I don't disregard it. I certainly still have the fear inside myself, but I seem to in some capacity "deal" with it, or push it aside. I just wonder how some more experienced divers feel about the possibilities of death or severe injury and how they rationalize it with themselves. Does it still exist inside you, or is it so worn down by the sheer number of jumps to the point where it's just an obscure reference or idea of what could almost maybe happen to you?

Ryan

No one is fearless they are just ni a situation they are comfortable with and used to.

Take a skydiver who will happily jump out of planes and stick then in Basra. Once the bullets come in I bet 90% of skydivers the first time would curl into a ball. I also know 90% of the soldiers would not jump out of a plane without seriously thinking twice.

It all depends on what you are used to and the limits you push yourself. Once out of your comfort zone anyone can be like a small child.

------
Two of the three voices in my head agree with you. It might actually be unanimous but voice three only speaks Welsh.

yes i agree, we are trained to deal with certain circumstances that we become more comfortable with after repetition etc. Also, skydivers learn to trust their equipment and abilities, similar to the war comparison, soldiers are confident in their equipment and skills. I bet lots of soldiers would poop themselves if they are severely outgunned and in the middle of an ambush after taking a round. Most skydivers would be pretty damn scared to a ball of crap twisted around thier legs. diablopilot has a good point too, if you arent afraid of what can kill you in the sport, ya may not be safe and/or protected from it.

RESPEK!

P.S. much of this is regurgitated info/opionions i agree with from my coaches/instructors/peers that have the experience, im still a new guy!
So there I was...

Making friends and playing nice since 1983

similar to the war comparison, soldiers are confident in their equipment and skills.

I take it you have never been to war? Not even close as a comparison.

I bet lots of soldiers would poop themselves if they are severely outgunned and in the middle of an ambush after taking a round.

Again have you ever been to war. Soldiers might "poop themselves" during a firefight but at the same time they are returning fire in an effort to gain fire superiority. If you quit during an “ambush” you will die just a certain as you will if you quit during a skydive. And guess what, there are no AADs in combat. No Protrack or other toys to save your butt. Everyone has to carry his own weight.

No one is “fearless”, no one. Some people are able to function at a higher level in the presence of fear then others. As JP said, fear is an excellent tool when used properly. No matter who you are or how many times you do something that invokes fear in you, you will not eliminate it. Like Jim said you take that fear and channel it to the task at hand.

To use the war example again, a good definition of a Hero is someone who can still function in the presence of paralyzing fear. I have never met someone the has been sited for valor above and beyond that felt they did anything that the next guy would not do given the same situation.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Speaking of pooping, on some hairy cliff jumps (at least during the earlier days of BASE jumping when gear and techniques were still in their infancy), it is so frightening that we sometimes carry a role of toilet paper on our chest strap. We call each piece of toilet paper a fear ticket. "Got your fear tickets?" The phrase "Scare the shit out of you" is a real one and combat soldiers I imagine realize this on a fairly regular basis.
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174