Jonsmann

Strange sight

Today I saw a kids helium balloon at 3-4 thousand feet.
At a distance it looked like a guy in freefall, but it was yellow and going up!
When I got close (100 ft under canopy) it turned out to be a kids balloon shaped like a tiger! Black stripes and a line for holding it etc.

I'm sure there must have been some kid crying his eyes out.

Jacques

several years ago my dad and i were flying from camarillo california to bakersfield. While climbing through 8000 we saw one of those silver helium balloons. We couldnt figure out how it hadnt popped from pressure, but it was pretty funny to see. took us a few seconds to realize what we saw. i would NOT want to hit that in freefall

clear skies
So there I was...

Making friends and playing nice since 1983

I've hit one on deployment while my canopy was snivling, one of the silver birthday type balloons. Smacked the side of my lower leg, bounced off the slider and was away before I could read it.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Well... it wasn't a kid's balloon, but I once saw an empty 12-pack (box) at around 800-1000' while under canopy one day when I used to jump at Apple Valley, CA. It was a hot summer day... read turbulent... and I figure it got sucked up there by a dust devil or termal or a combination there of.

I scared the hell out of a hawk once. It was a turbulent day and his back was to me. I got close to him before he heard my canopy, he did a hard dive out of there, I'll never forget it. Must have been about '1000-'1200 feet.

Had a similar experience a few years ago. After a team 4-way dive, I noticed something in the air behind my team mates canopy, so I flew in behind her to check it out. It turned out to be a hawk that was checking out her pilot chute. I followed for a good while and got pretty close (maybe 75 ft) before he decided that he didn't like being watched anymore and dove away hard. I tried to follow, but DAMN, those suckers can dive! I don't think the team mate ever noticed either of us. :)
That is one of my fondest skydiving memories to date.
--
Jason
--
Some people never go crazy. What truly boring lives they must lead.

forget now what jump # it was but on my first 20 sec delay (way back around 1970) i saw this thing coming straight for me in freefall. was the darndest thing teeth bared, wings out, diving right at me -- an uglier meaner creature one could never expect to see

was Bo Alexander who followed me out the door