flyusa

Insurance Companies

Hello again,

I'm trying to find companies that provide insurance that do not exclude skydiving. I am self employed and simply want a policy that covers hospital care for accidents ONLY. Does anyone have a name of a company that would do this - and a ballpark rate? I see an awful lot of posts on insurance but no mention of company names other than blue cross and hmo's. The best quote I've found on my own so far was about 88-120 per month depending on deductable. Any info anyone?

Health insurance is less likely to exclude skydiving than life insurance is. Your best bet is to get a quote and read the paperwork very carefully - it's hard to make a safe blanket statement about who provides what as every company and every policy is different.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I have Mutual of Omaha and it covers me just for accidents. Included is skydiving, I asked my agent over and over again.

http://www.mutualofomaha.com/employers/group_sales_office.html
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Hello again,

I'm trying to find companies that provide insurance that do not exclude skydiving. I am self employed and simply want a policy that covers hospital care for accidents ONLY. Does anyone have a name of a company that would do this - and a ballpark rate? I see an awful lot of posts on insurance but no mention of company names other than blue cross and hmo's. The best quote I've found on my own so far was about 88-120 per month depending on deductable. Any info anyone?

what is your age? 88-120/mo are pretty typical rates in the upper 20s/lower 30s. The lowest is likely around 60 for a PPO with a pretty high deductable.

Figure out how much you can pony up if you have a bad accident and check the yearly out of pocket max. (and consider that the costs could overlap calendar years).

OTOH, disability is pretty hard to get as an individual. I was out 11 weeks from my accident. The medical bill will be $2000, but if I didn't have state disability (2/3rds) plus a private plan via work (1/3rd), the costs of not working would have been far higher than that.

I sell insurance in the state of Michigan and I have a policy that everyone likes its called the Critical Care and Support that pays between 10 to 50,000 if you come up with one of 12 conditions. Great news is skydivers can get it... it covers heart attacks, cancer, strokes, burns, etc.. Cost is cheap around 15 dollars a month for 18 to 30 years old with 10,000 coverage. Plus after 15 years you can opt to get a return of preiums if you have no problems.... A great seller.

Also we have a cancer policy that covers any cancer you may get. Rates are also low. that Pay anywhere from 10 to 50,000. To qualify you must not have cancer and not had more then two releatives that were under 60 years old that had cancer.

Let me know if you would like further information on these.

Thanks Ken...
Kenneth Potter
FAA Senior Parachute Rigger
Tactical Delivery Instructor (Jeddah, KSA)
FFL Gunsmith

I sell insurance in the state of Michigan and I have a policy that everyone likes its called the Critical Care and Support that pays between 10 to 50,000 if you come up with one of 12 conditions. Great news is skydivers can get it... it covers heart attacks, cancer, strokes, burns, etc.. Cost is cheap around 15 dollars a month for 18 to 30 years old with 10,000 coverage. Plus after 15 years you can opt to get a return of preiums if you have no problems.... A great seller.

Also we have a cancer policy that covers any cancer you may get. Rates are also low. that Pay anywhere from 10 to 50,000. To qualify you must not have cancer and not had more then two releatives that were under 60 years old that had cancer.

Let me know if you would like further information on these.

Thanks Ken...

So skydivers can get it, but does it cover skydiving accidents?

this policy and the cancer policy pay out cash to you....

it covers heart attack, heart surgey, cancer, stroke, brain tumor, kidney failure, organ transplant (heart, kidney, liver, lung, pancreas), multiple sclerosis, paralysis (two or more limbs), dismemberment (two or more limbs), severe burns and blindness.

Cost for coverage $10,000 ages 18-34 tabacco user $24.57 a month / non tabacco user $18.90 a month both witha return of preuim after 15 years.... Both are of course less with the return on premium...

So if one of these 12 conditions apply to you we do not charge you extra just because you jump out of airplanes.. And we all know that these can effect any of us. Other news is once you start in a age group the rates do not increse with age.

Hope this helps..

Ken,..
Kenneth Potter
FFL Gunsmith

this policy and the cancer policy pay out cash to you....

it covers heart attack, heart surgey, cancer, stroke, brain tumor, kidney failure, organ transplant (heart, kidney, liver, lung, pancreas), multiple sclerosis, paralysis (two or more limbs), dismemberment (two or more limbs), severe burns and blindness.

Cost for coverage $10,000 ages 18-34 tabacco user $24.57 a month / non tabacco user $18.90 a month both witha return of preuim after 15 years.... Both are of course less with the return on premium...

forgive me, but this sounds like a waste of money. Isn't this the AD&D type (accidental death and dismemberment) policies. This person needs health insurance.

And $50,000 doesn't really cut it for an accident or cancer treatment, esp if you don't get the negotiated price from the hospitals. For my moderate accident - broken shoulder, minorly lacerated spleen - the hospital stay alone was $74k, though they took 13 from Blue Cross. And my injuries don't fall under your list. Wrong organ, and only one limb was messed up, and it's coming along now.

I also offer coverage for skydiving accidents but the preiums are at around 33.82 a month for 18 to 32 years old (just a estimate as I do not have my rate book on me here).... The issue here it does not offer the options as the other policies as this a paid for service and the others are a cash payable to the policy holder.

These of course are payable ontop of any and all other types of insurance and have found these to be of benefit for skydivers... Heart attacks effect how many people each day, what about cancer.... etc....

The other policies do protect skydivers but most do notify want to a higher premium cost as stated above. So the CCS and Cancer policy is by far chearper.

If you are just looking for an accident policy you can look at our Hospital Indemity Program/ Accident or go with a general accident umbrella policy.

Of course what I offer is in the state of Michigan if you wish to contact one of our agents in the other states let me know and I will try to get with them. But each states insurance policies/ laws, and coverage may be different.......
Kenneth Potter
FFL Gunsmith

The best quote I've found on my own so far was about 88-120 per month depending on deductable.

I am currently shopping and that seems to be about the going rate, at least for me and the first filters that most places use - male, 30-35 years old, non-smoker. Once you answer the detailed health questions the actual quote may be much more or much less. I have not been able to find detailed descriptions of included or excluded activities that are just posted on a company's Web site... most of that stuff seems to be in the policy itself, which you only get after they have agreed to cover you. I _think_ it is possible to get a quote, get a copy of the policy, and then decline to buy the insurance based on what the policy actually says without incurring any penalty, but I am not sure. I have been using ehealthinsurance.com to compare policies and prices.

Standard disclaimers apply; I don't get money or other considerations from any companies I have mentioned.

Eule
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.