angrypeppers

AFF cancelled...bummer

My AFF Level 1 was cancelled for this weekend. Too many people bailed for the Sunday class. They offered me a spot in the Saturday class, but I already have plans, and it looks like the weather will be crappy tomorrow. I rescheduled for next weekend, but I wanted to go on Sunday! Sorry, just had to vent a little bit.

Chris
Burn the land and boil the sea,
You can't take the sky from me.

Lesson number one in skydiving: Clear all weekend every weekend for the rest of your life. ;):D
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Lesson number one in skydiving: Clear all weekend every weekend for the rest of your life. ;):D

That's definitely how it has been around here lately! It gets nice just in time for the work week. If you're planning to schedule around weather problems, clearing the weekend sounds like the safest plan. I have a friend doing some jumps from Mile-Hi over the next couple of days, though. Hopefully, the weather will hold! I'm very sorry about Sunday.
TPM Sister #102

Well, the good news is that I'm scheduled for the tunnel tonite...first time there, so that should be fun. I was jumping at Mile Hi too; tomorrow looks stormy, but Sunday may be OK for your friend.

The Sunday class was a bit of a fluke anyway. There were too many people interested in AFF for their normal Saturday class, so they tried to have a second class on Sunday. Didn't work out I guess.

Weekends are now cleared forever. No more 4 wheeling or fishing. Must...learn...to...jump! :D

Chris

just wait till you spend all morning in training, getting worked up, only to have the wind cancel your afternoon jump.

Sounds like you learned in the Central coast...I did and I know exactly what you're talking about

and no, Kris wasn't kidding...[:/]B|:$

<><><><><><><><><><><>

The greatest risk you take in life is the risk you don't take.

This is especially true for students...it took me all weekend...every weekend...all summer, to get where I am today (an incredible 16). All my friends know now, if it's the weekend, I'm at the dropzone...rain or shine. Rain is a great time to learn how to pack.
What goes up, must come DOWN!!!

Well, the good news is that I'm scheduled for the tunnel tonite...first time there, so that should be fun. I was jumping at Mile Hi too; tomorrow looks stormy, but Sunday may be OK for your friend.

Chris

The tunnel will be FUN! I'm doing their adult league and have booked time on Sunday with several other leaguers (including my friend who hopes to be jumping that morning). Any of the instructors should be great. Tip: Take your own recordable DVD. I find it really helpful to watch my time in the tunnel. You'll find that what you think you're doing and what you see on the DVD are not always the same. They will sell you a DVD for $17, but you can get them to record the session for no extra charge if you supply your own DVD.
TPM Sister #102

The tunnel was great! Did a total of about six minutes, in three rotations. I got the DVD too...strange watching it though. I did better on the DVD than I thought I did while I was in the tunnel, and vice versa. Can't wait to go back! I did feel much more confident at the end of the session. I was able to turn both directions, and control my height. All were pretty sloppy, but you could tell what I'm doing! Need to work a bit on controlling my legs.

One thing I thought was really cool is that we did the session like an AFF lesson, rather than a fun ride. Used AFF hand signals, and simulated altimeter checks. Didn't do any practice touches, but we will next time. Now that I have another week till my jump, I can head back to the tunnel for more practice!

Chris

The tunnel was great! Did a total of about six minutes, in three rotations. I got the DVD too...strange watching it though. I did better on the DVD than I thought I did while I was in the tunnel, and vice versa. Can't wait to go back! I did feel much more confident at the end of the session. I was able to turn both directions, and control my height. All were pretty sloppy, but you could tell what I'm doing! Need to work a bit on controlling my legs.

One thing I thought was really cool is that we did the session like an AFF lesson, rather than a fun ride. Used AFF hand signals, and simulated altimeter checks. Didn't do any practice touches, but we will next time. Now that I have another week till my jump, I can head back to the tunnel for more practice!

Chris

I'm so glad you had such a good time! Who was your instructor? At least some of the guys are AFF instructors as well, which is great. I know it's still not the same as jumping, but you can make great progress on your skills and it's still a lot of fun. I'm sure I'll see you around SVC.
TPM Sister #102

just wait till you spend all morning in training, getting worked up, only to have the wind cancel your afternoon jump.

Sounds like you learned in the Central coast...I did and I know exactly what you're talking about

SMB alright. I was so pissed that they didn't tell me in advance that a wind hold could happen as I practiced my dive flow. It was at least a couple weeks before I realized the alternative was to rush me into that first jump. Mostly I think it was the physical state of being jacked up all day with no release that got me so mad.

Ugh....Chris...I began AFF almost 3 years ago there in Colorado at this time of year as well and fought the weather to get thru AFF. Clouds too low, winds too high, or snow/too damn cccccold:D so my AFF logbook is there for L1, then Moss Pt MS for L2/L3, then Eloy AZ for L4-L7 just to get it done and not go beyond the 30 day currency. I totally understand.

Hang in there and report back your experiences when you do your AFF levels:)
Katee
>o<

KA's right, as always. Trying to fit marathon training in with jumping sucks ass.

Good luck!

I can't remember his name right now...he's Chris's roommate? Brad, maybe? This is going to bug me...

I'll go back at least once more before my jump next weekend. Need to practice a bit more. And it's a lot of fun too!

Chris

Yes, that must be Brad. He's great!! Here's the thing--they have two Brads, two Chrises, two Dereks. . . . It cuts down on the number of names you have to remember, though! ;) Anyway, they'll all give you good instruction.
TPM Sister #102

I'm not discouraged, but I was really looking forward to jumping this weekend! I'll keep y'all posted on my progress. At least I can go to the tunnel before my AFF.

I kinda did the same thing with my pilot training. Took three years to go from first lesson to my license. Flew with a bunch of different instructors, in four a/c types, at three different airports in two states before I got my ticket. I won't let that happen with my skydiving!

I've even thought of taking vacation and going somplace warm for the training, but I'd rather stay in CO...I'd rather do the training where I'm going to be jumping.

Jewels, I'm sure I'll see you at SVC...might even go tomorrow to watch and learn from you pros!

Chris

Jewels, I'm sure I'll see you at SVC...might even go tomorrow to watch and learn from you pros!

Chris

LOL--if you want to see pros, watch the little kids or the instructors! The kids are obscenely good. If you're around tomorrow afternoon, we just might run into you!
TPM Sister #102

I've even thought of taking vacation and going somplace warm for the training, but I'd rather stay in CO...I'd rather do the training where I'm going to be jumping.

You might want to re-think that. The weather here in Colorado can ground you for weeks. There is nothing wrong with going some where warm to get your training done. In fact, it might be better, because you'll be able to put your jumps closer together, hence keeping you more current and comfortable in the air. Those two items will help you pass your jumps.

Just some thing to think about, that is if you are really in a hurry to finish up.

But, on the other hand, having the tunnel here will help too. Going in there all winter and it's nice and warm, then come spring you'll just fly through your training.

http://www.weather.com/outlook/events/sports/weekend/USCO0243?from=search <---;)
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Nah, I'm not on a timetable. I'd love to be able to take vacation this fall to get my jumps done, but then I'd have to come back to the cold/unstable weather and probably sit around for a while anyway. After Christmas would work, but I don't think I can wait that long...I'll go nuts! Plus, it would be better right now money-wise to spread it out a bit...until someone buys the truck I have for sale. The real pisser is that I decided to do this at the end of the summer!

I'm comfortable with the idea of starting training now, jumping as often as I can afford and the weather allows, while using the tunnel through the cold months. Even knowing I'll have to wait out the weather some weekends, I'd rather get going now.

I know what you mean about keeping training close together. I went through that during my pilot's training. Went *much* better when I could fly more than once a week!

And I've got Longmont WX from weather.com bookmarked on the toolbar of my browser. I look at the weather there as much as I do here, even if I'm not heading up there.

Chris

dont take the forcast to heart too much....!

It was supposed to be crap all day on saturday at mile-hi, but we decided to go anyways. turns out the clouds broke and we got in some incredible jumps. If you plan on going all the way to your A, its never to early to start learing how to pack on those weather holds!