motorheaddown

Not planned - dumping in place - reason to get upset?

Well, I appreciate everyone's thoughts on the matter.

Pulling his main or reserve is out of the question. He is a teammate AND a friend.

I talked to him once, and I thought the matter was over. It surprised me that he did it again - ergo my post to this forum. I wanted to anonamously put this thread out there to get your reaction. I kinda felt like a jerk having to bring it up again and was a little surprised about his apathy regarding the issue.

We talked about it, and he apologized the next day. While I'm not into ultimatums, the behaviour of unplanned dumps in-place must stop. If it happens again, I'll have to reconsider moving forward as a team; the risk of dying over stupidity just isn't worth it.

Thanks again for all your input.

-scott

Let's say you have a bad jump and everyone kind of blows apart.

Do you think he'd still dump in place if he didn't know where the other 4 were? Or just dump cork out and dump prior to planned breakoff? If so, I understand your 'risk' concern 100%. If it just happens at breakoff, then easy enough to just plan for it.

I'm not too concerned about some 'taking the center and dumping high' so much as it being a 'habit' that's not practiced in a smart manner.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Yeah, that's bad for him to break from the dive-flow but why don't you guys just have him pull in place all the time. That way you're not wondering if you're tracking away from a canopy in the center or away from two others tracking in various directions.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Yeah, that's bad for him to break from the dive-flow but why don't you guys just have him pull in place all the time. That way you're not wondering if you're tracking away from a canopy in the center or away from two others tracking in various directions.

We're a freefly team, and he's right over top of me in a totem at the end of our routine.

He dumped in place on a busted dive while training. That's why he didn't hit anyone.

-scott

Agreed. Our planned ending is to link in a head-down/stand totem and spiral past the camera as he floats up past us creating a real sense of speed. So, the cameraman is actually the only one who can pull in place.

If I was the camera man, I would be EXTREMELY nervous about poppin above someone who "might" pull in place. "Scoring" is really not the priority. That was a joke.

Rat for Life - Fly till I die
When them stupid ass bitches ask why

He dumped in place on a busted dive while training.

is he dumping at FF speeds? eventually, he'll find out this sucks for his (eventual) arthritis....:S

I'd never invite him on a video'd RW jump, though. That's for sure - we like our cameraman.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I kinda got in his face about dumping in place, but he didn't apologize until the next day

This will get me flamed no doubt, but it is a slow day here at work. So, here goes: Are you a chick? ;)

He apologized. So he didn't apologize before you told him you were upset. If he apologized and I assume you guys worked out the future deployments, why the panties in a wad now? Some guys are way too sensitive! :S

steveOrino

I wish I had a copy of an ol' Lee Webb video (8mm ??) he had of a jumper that had the bad habbit of dumping in place after everyone left... on the jump / video in question... the jumper with the bad habbit of dumping in place "forgot" Lee was filming and on break-off just backed up a few feet and pitched. Their pilot chute went up one side of Lee, bridle across Lee's chest and the jumper and bag went up the other side of Lee. Lee managed to roll out of the trash, but suffered a pretty good "burn" across his chest / jumpsuit.

Anyway, Bill answered it up-post best.

Just trying to add that it may not be bad thing unto itself, its just a bad habbit that can lead to bad things... remember that chain of events that can lead to an incident.

I kinda got in his face about dumping in place, but he didn't apologize until the next day

This will get me flamed no doubt, but it is a slow day here at work. So, here goes: Are you a chick? ;)

He apologized. So he didn't apologize before you told him you were upset. If he apologized and I assume you guys worked out the future deployments, why the panties in a wad now? Some guys are way too sensitive! :S

No chick here. He did it the first time, and I talked to him about it - all was good. Then, he does it again (WTF... did he forget our first conversation?) Not only that, I get a "thanks" after calling him on it the second time. He didn't apologize until the next day. This was all following recent events when two very experienced skydivers at our DZ had a canopy collision, double chop, and survived. Hello?... the message here is track your ass off - don't pull in place especially if it's not planned.

Maybe I am sensitive, but I don't like to add to the chain of events that result in injuries or death. So, call me what you want. I won't be offended - I'm proud to have 1200+ jumps with no mals and no injuries, and I'm trying to avoid unnecessary risk. If he won't stick to the plan, then I'll pull the plug on my involvement with the team. It's just that simple. Problem solved.

-scott