pilatus_p

Healing fractured vertebrae

Hello

Some of you may have noticed I am a post whore.

This is because I fractured two vertebrae on a hard opening during my AFF, can't jump and am going cold turkey. I have started watching BASE videos. I may even buy a banjo.

This has been covered in the past but I can't really find a definitice answer: For this kind of injury (stable compression fracture of T5 and T6) what are the best forms, if any, of physio to take?

Is there an ideal time to leave between jumping again? It happened on sept 10th. Anyone whos morbid or wants to read a lot can head over to incidents and read what happened (Spinal fracture - hard opening, ocana spain or something like that).

Ross "shorter than before" L
http://www.teamtechnology.co.uk/troll.htm

I did a 30% compression of T-12 on a landing about 6 yrs ago.Every injury is different but this is my unqualified been there done that advise.
-Right now I would think they have told you to do nothing.Listen to them.
-I was out of circulation for 3 months give or take a little.I have to guess that with an injury from opening shock you might be able to jump in less time than that.
-Get off of the pain meds.They just let you do things you should not be doing.
-When they give you the physical therapy do it.
-Finally,educate yourself.I had a doctor that told me to never jump again.1500 jumps later I am still able to walk.There is alot of cover your ass syndrome out there today.

As has been said, every injury is different. I had a compression fracture of the T5 in mid July. The neruosurgeon said no surgery, but some pain the rest of my life. I get it mostly at night now. He also said to give it six weeks to heal.

Do to unforseen circumstances, I will be getting a follow-up next week on it. Anyway, I couldn't stand not skydiving any longer and 6 weeks to the day, I jumped again.

I made sure I could arch on the ground without any pain or discomfort and that my rig didn't cause me any discomfort also. I also planned that after the first jump, if I got in pain to quit for awhile.

It worked out just fine.

Hopefully you will heal quickly. It is really hard to say though.

I still have an issue when I sneeze that I get pain in my chest and sometimes something will move in my back. There may still be something wrong but ti doesn't affect my every day life much or the skydiving.

There may still be something wrong and I will heed the doctor's advice. I hope yo uare able to do the same and heal quick.

David

This is because I fractured two vertebrae on a hard opening during my AFF, can't jump and am going cold turkey. I have started watching BASE videos. I may even buy a banjo.

I know the feeling; I broke my leg in March. Since then, I've been eating lunch at the picnic shelter at the local general aviation airport about once a week, just watching the airplanes come and go. (The dropzone is at an airport further out of town.)

From CSpenceFLY:

Get off of the pain meds.They just let you do things you should not be doing.

I agree. I took some the first few days but was then able to stop. I did take one a few days later in a highly scientific experiment to find out if it made my Pink Floyd CDs sound better (conclusion: yes it did).

[joke] However, I did consider telling my doctor that I needed a refill - he seemed quite willing to do that for me. The initial 30 (generic) Lortab only cost me about $30 at the pharmacy, and I was told by a reliable source that each pill was worth about half a jump ticket in the parking lot of the local high school. :) [/joke]

Eule
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.

WOW! I can identify with what you are going through--cold turkey withdrawal from skydiving. I broke both legs during a landing June3, 2006--two surgeries, 3 blood transfusions, titanium rod, screws, pins and bone grafts later I am still going through physical therapy and pain. I have had some health problems and now have issues with my bones. My landing was not that hard but my bones are weak now. To make a long story short in the months prior to the accident the doctors were looking for bone cancer or tumors. I had fractured vertabraes and ribs-- from what --who knows. Luckily no cancer or tumor :ph34r: But I think my skydiving days are done. And that is hard to say and admit. I still hang out at the DZ. But for me I have to admit that the risks are not work it any more. Damn! :( I never thought that I would say that or admit it! I hope that you heal quickly and completely. Keep us posted
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!! Have a happy day!!
Janet

Here is my been there done that experience. I had a 25% compression fracture of T11 due to a bad landing. My doctor just assumed I was going to jump again, and asked me if I had started jumping on one of my follow-up visits. I took the approach that if I could run for a short distance that I could jump. My doctor was okay with that. I was down for about 5 months.

OOOOWWWWWWWW!!!

That is a hell of a list of treatments. Thank you for your well wishes, and Im sorry to hear that you cannot jump again.

Maybe they can make a DZ carpeted with nice comfy bean bags and let you land on that?

:P

Ross

I'm sorry to hear about your back, I understand what happened, the same happend to me several years and a couple of hundred jumps ago. I had a wedge compression of my T8.

Basically this is the way it works, the spine takes longer to heal than normal bones. Figure 8-10 weeks. This is what my doctor told me and he was one of the top back surgeons in the country. He than asked if I smoked and I was told 10-12 weeks>:(

Basically you should be able to jump after that, although the doctors will tell you that if you injure that same spot again, you might not be walking, but then again, what do they know.:S

Hope you heal well!

Dayle

Hey cheers Dayle

You have now put the shits up me about not being able to walk. I will try my best to not think of that next time im on the step at 13,000ft. I thank you for that little tidbit, you morbid bas*ard.

Only kidding :)

Ross

Had a compression Fx in Jan,doc attempted to allow it to heal, still had pain in April. Had kypho vertebralplasty, woke up post surgery and NO PAIN. Worked great,but each case is different. Bryan
--------------------------------------------------
Growing old is mandatory.Growing up is optional!!

D.S.#13(Dudeist Skdiver)