sweetmoose

working on aircraft

Just wanted to know, do you have to have an A&P license to work on aircraft at a DZ. I know you have to in order to work on commercial aircraft, but I have 5 years experience in the airforce working as an avionics technician on flight controls and indicating recording systems. Just curious what kind of stuff I may need. Thanks
We die only once, but for such a very long time.

I'll believe in ghosts when I catch one in my teeth.

I'm hardly the right person to answer this, but in Canada, our aircraft are designated as Commercial aircraft, and repairs must be conducted according to commercial regulations. I suspect it's much the same in the US.
What goes up, must come DOWN!!!

Yes. An owner/operator can work on "certain" items on their aircraft. There's a list, I just can't remember all the items, but if you go to the faa.gov website, I'm sure it will list them, or one of these gurus on dizzy.com will definitely come up with it......

cheers......

A friend of mine in the airforce worked on cessna type aircraft without an A&P license, just didn't know if it worked that way for DZ's too, anyone esles input is helpful. I'm sure I can get an A&P license if I need to, all I got to do is study up and take a test and I got it. Any more input is much appreciated
We die only once, but for such a very long time.

I'll believe in ghosts when I catch one in my teeth.

When I was working out of the Dallas area, I helped Mike, Skydive Dallas cheif pilot, change out both engines on their otter, and helped out doing 100 hour services on other jump planes that came out for repairs. I'm pretty sure that it's like packing parachutes to a degree.......as long as you are working under someone that has the correct type of ticket for what they're doing.

Essentially yes. You need an A&P ticket to sign off most maintenance on a US certificated aircraft. There are some "preventative maintenance" items that can be accomplished by the aircraft owner (See 14 CFR Part 43).
PM me if you would like more info or guidance concerning obtaining your A&P certificate.
Henry Trammel
D-12064
FAA Inspector

You can work under the supervision of an A&P and can accomplish many preventive maintenance tasks on aircraft without an A&P license. I was in the USAF as a crew chief on F-16's, C-130's, and KC-135's, and I came out with nothing more than the need for 2 years of school to get an A&P license. I learned later that I could use my USAF experience to take around 6 months worth of classes and get a license. I went to the FAA and talked to them and learned quite a bit. I suggest you do the same. You may find you need even less class time than I did, being as I have been out the service for a few years now. I hope this helps!;)

The Braver the Bird...The Fatter the Cat.

Anyone can do any of the work done on an aircraft. However, the work must be supervised and "signed off" by either an A&P or A&P/IA.

There are some things the pilot can do without supervision and they are listed in the FARs.

from part 43:
Sec. 43.3 Persons authorized to perform maintenance, preventive maintenance, rebuilding, and alterations.

(a) Except as provided in this section and Sec. 43.17, no person may
maintain, rebuild, alter, or perform preventive maintenance on an
aircraft, airframe, aircraft engine, propeller, appliance, or component
part to which this part applies. Those items, the performance of which
is a major alteration, a major repair, or preventive maintenance, are
listed in appendix A.
(b) The holder of a mechanic certificate may perform maintenance,
preventive maintenance, and alterations as provided in Part 65 of this
chapter.
(c) The holder of a repairman certificate may perform maintenance
and preventive maintenance as provided in Part 65 of this chapter.
(d) A person working under the supervision of a holder of a mechanic
or repairman certificate may perform the maintenance, preventive
maintenance, and alterations that his supervisor is authorized to
perform, if the supervisor personally observes the work being done to
the extent necessary to ensure that it is being done properly and if the
supervisor is readily available, in person, for consultation. However,
this paragraph does not authorize the performance of any inspection
required by Part 91 or Part 125 of this chapter or any inspection
performed after a major repair or alteration.
(e) The holder of a repair station certificate may perform
maintenance, preventive maintenance, and alterations as provided in Part
145 of this chapter.
(f) The holder of an air carrier operating certificate or an
operating certificate issued under Part 121 or 135, may perform
maintenance, preventive maintenance, and alterations as provided in Part
121 or 135.
(g) The holder of a pilot certificate issued under Part 61 may
perform preventive maintenance on any aircraft owned or operated by that
pilot which is not used under Part 121, 129, or 135.

(c) Preventive maintenance. Preventive maintenance is limited to the following work, provided it does not involve complex assembly operations:
(1) Removal, installation, and repair of landing gear tires.
(2) Replacing elastic shock absorber cords on landing gear.
(3) Servicing landing gear shock struts by adding oil, air, or both.
(4) Servicing landing gear wheel bearings, such as cleaning and greasing.
(5) Replacing defective safety wiring or cotter keys.
(6) Lubrication not requiring disassembly other than removal of nonstructural items such as cover plates, cowlings, and fairings.
(7) Making simple fabric patches not requiring rib stitching or the removal of structural parts or control surfaces. In the case of balloons, the making of small fabric repairs to envelopes (as defined in, and in accordance with, the balloon manufacturers' instructions) not requiring load tape repair or replacement.
(8) Replenishing hydraulic fluid in the hydraulic reservoir.
(9) Refinishing decorative coating of fuselage, balloon baskets, wings tail group surfaces (excluding balanced control surfaces), fairings, cowlings, landing gear, cabin, or cockpit interior when removal or disassembly of any primary structure or operating system is not required.
(10) Applying preservative or protective material to components where no disassembly of any primary structure or operating system is involved and where such coating is not prohibited or is not contrary to good practices.
(11) Repairing upholstery and decorative furnishings of the cabin, cockpit, or balloon basket interior when the repairing does not require disassembly of any primary structure or operating system or interfere with an operating system or affect the primary structure of the aircraft.
(12) Making small simple repairs to fairings, nonstructural cover plates, cowlings, and small patches and reinforcements not changing the contour so as to interfere with proper air flow.
(13) Replacing side windows where that work does not interfere with the structure or any operating system such as controls, electrical equipment, etc.
(14) Replacing safety belts.
(15) Replacing seats or seat parts with replacement parts approved for the aircraft, not involving disassembly of any primary structure or operating system.
(16) Trouble shooting and repairing broken circuits in landing light wiring circuits.
(17) Replacing bulbs, reflectors, and lenses of position and landing lights.
(18) Replacing wheels and skis where no weight and balance computation is involved.
(19) Replacing any cowling not requiring removal of the propeller or disconnection of flight controls.
(20) Replacing or cleaning spark plugs and setting of spark plug gap clearance.
(21) Replacing any hose connection except hydraulic connections.
(22) Replacing prefabricated fuel lines.
(23) Cleaning or replacing fuel and oil strainers or filter elements.
(24) Replacing and servicing batteries.
(25) Cleaning of balloon burner pilot and main nozzles in accordance with the balloon manufacturer's instructions.
(26) Replacement or adjustment of nonstructural standard fasteners incidental to operations.
(27) The interchange of balloon baskets and burners on envelopes when the basket or burner is designated as interchangeable in the balloon type certificate data and the baskets and burners are specifically designed for quick removal and installation.
(28) The installations of anti-misfueling devices to reduce the diameter of fuel tank filler openings provided the specific device has been made a part of the aircraft type certificate data by the aircraft manufacturer, the aircraft manufacturer has provided FAA-approved instructions for installation of the specific device, and installation does not involve the disassembly of the existing tank filler opening.
(29) Removing, checking, and replacing magnetic chip detectors.
(30) The inspection and maintenance tasks prescribed and specifically identified as preventive maintenance in a primary category aircraft type certificate or supplemental type certificate holder's approved special inspection and preventive maintenance program when accomplished on a primary category aircraft provided:
(i) They are performed by the holder of at least a private pilot certificate issued under part 61 who is the registered owner (including co-owners) of the affected aircraft and who holds a certificate of competency for the affected aircraft (1) issued by a school approved under Sec. 147.21(e) of this chapter; (2) issued by the holder of the production certificate for that primary category aircraft that has a special training program approved under Sec. 21.24 of this subchapter; or (3) issued by another entity that has a course approved by the Administrator; and
(ii) The inspections and maintenance tasks are performed in accordance with instructions contained by the special inspection and preventive maintenance program approved as part of the aircraft's type design or supplemental type design.
(31) Removing and replacing self-contained, front instrument panel-mounted navigation and communication devices that employ tray-mounted connectors that connect the unit when the unit is installed into the instrument panel, (excluding automatic flight control systems, transponders, and microwave frequency distance measuring equipment (DME)). The approved unit must be
designed to be readily and repeatedly removed and replaced, and pertinent instructions must be provided. Prior to the unit's intended use, and operational check must be performed in accordance with the applicable sections of part 91 of this chapter.
(32) Updating self-contained, front instrument panel-mounted Air Traffic Control (ATC) navigational software data bases (excluding those of automatic flight control systems, transponders, and microwave frequency distance measuring equipment (DME)) provided no disassembly of the unit is required and pertinent instructions are provided. Prior to the unit's intended use, an operational check must be performed in accordance with applicable sections of part 91 of this chapter.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.