donaudio

Oldest Class A Licensee

With your jump numbers and years in sport, it could be YOU! Go for it!

And here I thought you were going to say it was you, Andy. :P

To the original poster - are you looking for the person who was oldest when they first got licensed, or are you looking for the oldest living A license holder? And are you talking specifically about the US or worldwide?
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I would like to know how old the oldest person to receive a Class A license was. Thanks, Don

It's an interesting question. Will start the bidding at 65 (not entirely clear but implied in this doc: http://www.para.co.za/pasa.php?file=docs/PASA Media Release 1 November 2005.htm ) It would appear that he now has a B licence, is over 80 and still jumping.
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

I would like to know how old the oldest person to receive a Class A license was. Thanks, Don

Don,
Lew Sanborn is the person.

He has both A-1 and D-1.

I jumped with him once years ago.

I do not know how old he is exactly, but I will guess somewhere around 79 years old.

Cheers,
MEL

Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

Thanks but I am disappointed as I am 72 and just started jumping this year. I am working on my A license now. Don

Why disappointed, you may not qualify for any records (well you might later ;)), but think how many people would even consider a tandem at your age.

Very cool!! Kudos to you. :D
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Lew Sanborn is the person.
He has both A-1 and D-1.
I do not know how old he is exactly, but I will guess somewhere around 79 years old.

Lew is 76, and still actively jumping whenever midwest weather allows.
But (being pedantic), I think that doesn't answer Don's real question, which is who is/was the oldest person to earn an A, not the oldest person who has one. Lew made his first static line jump (military) jump in 1948, his first freefall in 1950, and first represented the U.S. in international competition in 1956. So by the time PCA got around to awarding licenses, he was about 30, and somewhat overqualified for the A, which required only that the applicant "have made at least 10 jumps".;)
HW