dixieboy147

Just curious, what is required to do tandem skydives?

You need a TM license. License requirements vary per country, generally 500-1000 jumps required, D license required, also 1 cutaway (intentional or not) and of course passing the tandem course. Some countries require a separate rating for each brand of tandemrig you're allowed to jump. Also a medical is needed.

Whether you can do a tandem jump when you ARE licensed depends on that particular DZ, if you're not a regular T/M there they may not like you doing a commercial jump there.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Ah Diablo pilot, another inciteful post...

Anyway, I let my Tandem Master take friends for cheap and relatives for the cost of the 2 slots and a repack.

Many DZs will also have a visiting TM policy where if you have your own Tandem gear, they will charge 2 slots and a paperwork fee (can be as low as $10)

It's good for when you go on vacation with a non-experienced jumper spouse:)
I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.

Think the BPA requirements are 800 jumps, plus 8 hrs in freefall (so 800 H&P wouldn't count), pass tandem instructor course and have an aviation medical done by a qualified aviation medicine doctor (as you're technically flying with a 'passenger'). I think that's it.
Skydiving is more than a sport and more than a job: skydiving is pure passion and desire which will fill a lifetime.

Re-read the original question.

would your average dzo let you hire a tandem rig and do the jump for a couple of tickets? (plus appropriate memberships, insurance etc)

I believe it would be the exception rather than the rule, therefore an exceptional DZO might allow it.

A great percentage of tandem business is friends and family of jumpers anyway, so it's not as common as you might think.

If I were a DZO, I would probably allow it with a staff member, or ex-staff member if it was family and/ or a close friend and was an occasional thing. As for a visiting TI? I'd have to know them pretty well or someone I trusted would have to vouch for them.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.