tomvailco

AFF graduate question

So I graduated AFF about 3 weeks ago and every time I've tried to get down to do a solo somethings come up. The week after christmas is gonna have to do. Are they going to make me do anything because of the time gap, or is it not a big deal? I was gonna do a coach jump first anyway just because it's been a month.

Call your DZ and ask. It's going to vary completely from place to place.

Vary from place to place??? Which "place to place" non-USPA DZs are you jumping at?

From the SIM:

All students who have not jumped in 30 days or more should receive refresher training:
a. Review all standard procedures which were-or should have been-previously acquired.
1. physical skills
2. theoretical knowledge
b. Practice emergency procedures in a harness simulator under the guidance of a rated USPA Coach, Instructor, or Inst. Examiner.
c. A student should repeat reserve deployment training once each month until obtaining a USPA A license, including the use of a harness simulator and the pull of an actual reserve ripcord while in the training harness.

also:

AFF students cleared to self supervise in freefall but who have not jumped in the preceding 30 days should make at least 1 jump and demonstrate the ability to start and stop turns, maintain altitude awareness, and the ability to maintain stability during deployment, with a currently rated AFF instructor.

Just to be clear, USPA considers you a "student" until you obtain your A license, whether or not you have been cleared to self supervise in freefall (I.E. what you might consider graduating AFF).

So, judging by the SIM, I would say you "should" make a jump with an instructor before you are current again. It doesn't look like it would be anything tough. If you did it for your AFF checkout it shouldn't be a problem to do it again. Why not come to Florida for a while where the weather is good and get some jumps knocked out over the winter? Be sure to bring some beer. :P

"Let the misinterpretation and attacks begin."

Vary from place to place??? Which "place to place" non-USPA DZs are you jumping at?

I jump at DZs that judge people on a per person basis and won't force an otherwise heads up jumper through re-training for being a few days over a number in a book.

Lighten up dude!
There is nothing to be gained by beating a junior jumper over the head with a rule book.
Truth is, most DZs/instructors/skydiving schools do a little refresher training before every skydive.
The only difference is how much we charge.
If a returning student answers my first half-dozen questions correctly, we suit-up and go skydiving.
The first few questions are free.

If he hesitates, then the refresher process gets longer and may include reviewing parts of the first-jump course.

If a student waits a full year and has forgotten substantial parts of the first jump course, then he has to pay for the entire course again.

The grey area is when a student has to wait a couple of months between jumps (i.e. weather), the we tend to waive re-training fees.
For example, the last day of the season (early December) I taught the full first jump course to a student. Unfortunately, the clouds descended as he was writing the final exam. Since he could not jump that day, I said "As long as you make a concerted effort to jump - over the next couple of months - we will not charge you for re-training. The next day we will be jumping is Saturday, the thirteenth of January."

I may have to re-teach him for an hour or two - for free - but that is part of the cost of doing business in wintry climates.