grlsgotalot2lrn

newbie question

What are the chances i'll be able to pull the ripcord, wear an altimeter, help steer the canopy,etc.?

That question would be best answered by the instructor(s) at your DZ, I'd call up your DZ and ask or drop by your DZ and ask.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

What are the chances i'll be able to pull the ripcord, wear an altimeter, help steer the canopy,etc.?

That shouldn't be a problem. Most drop zones let you do those things on your first jump, and in fact, the United States Parachute Association (USPA) requires that every student have an altimeter on every jump. If you feel like you are not getting adequate training or equipment, seek out another drop zone.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

That shouldn't be a problem. Most drop zones let you do those things on your first jump, and in fact, the United States Parachute Association (USPA) requires that every student have an altimeter on every jump.

It does? Does that apply to any tandem, or just training oriented ones? How long has it been in effect? I didn't on either of mine, but they were a ways back in 1995 and 2000.

For the original poster - I think you should ask for all 3 of these items for your jump if you intend to continue on with more student jumps.

...and in fact, the United States Parachute Association (USPA) requires that every student have an altimeter on every jump.

It does? Does that apply to any tandem, or just training oriented ones? How long has it been in effect? I didn't on either of mine, but they were a ways back in 1995 and 2000.

Basic Safety Requirements mandate "a visually accessible altimeter" for "all students...until they have obtained a USPA A license." See BS "K. Parachute Equipment"
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G

Basic Safety Requirements mandate "a visually accessible altimeter" for "all students...until they have obtained a USPA A license." See BS "K. Parachute Equipment"

On a tandem would could that be read as "the TI can show his/her student the altimeter and it is 'visually accessible' for the student?"
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

On a tandem would could that be read as "the TI can show his/her student the altimeter and it is 'visually accessible' for the student?"

I don't think so. The BOD discussion regarding the added regulation required that each student be equipped with an altimeter. At the time some schools were giving students an altimeter, and some had the instructor show the student his altimeter. The BSR was added to make it clear that each student must be given an actual altimeter. Contact USPA for further clarification or confirmation of the intent of the regulation, or better yet, just give each of your students an actual altimeter.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G

My 1st tandem was a learning experience. I got to wear an altimeter, and was instructed to lock on @ 7000, taught to wave off!, then got to pull the rip cord myself @ 6000. I even learned how to create turns (1 360 each way) using upper body.They instructed me on how to make sure the canopy was in good shape by showing how to perform a controllability check, and then they even let me participate in flying the canopy to our holding area, etc. AND help out with the landing. I don't think I would have been ready to go solo if it wasn't for the learning experiences I had on my 2 tandems.

At the time some schools were giving students an altimeter, and some had the instructor show the student his altimeter.

On my Tandemmaster certification Course (in 1999) it was explained that's exactly one of the things NOT to do. Some students tend to grab anything they can get their hands on.

I don't have a problem with giving a student an alti, even acces to the ripcord is no problem. But only after they ask and some additional brieving...
I have my students help on steering, canopycontrol and sometimes on landing. depends on weather conditions and the student.

Barry

To be precise, is any tandem passenger a student? And when was this BSR added? I know of more exceptions to this as recently as last summer.

To be precise, is any tandem passenger a student? And when was this BSR added? I know of more exceptions to this as recently as last summer.

I've checked my S&TA Newsletters back to 1992 and can't find mention of the regulation, so it's at least a few years old. At the time tandems students were considered students, and the BSR was intended to apply to them. It still does, as far as I know. The BSR is marked as not waiverable, so if your DZ is not giving an altimeter to students you should check with USPA for clarification.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G