councilman24

Rigger wing graphic

Final adoption was based on a formal request submitted by Mr. James S. Emery, Military Analyst, Airborne Department, Quartermaster School in 1983. This request received unprecedented support from the field, unfortunately it was disapproved at the time. In 1986, General Richard H. Thompson, commander of the U.S. Army Materiel Command and the senior Quartermaster officer in the Army wrote the Chief of Staff of the Army asking him to reconsider the 1983 decision. After requesting some field comments, General Wickham approved the parachute riggers badge on 9 June 1986.

Well, I learned something new. I never knew it wasn't official until 1986.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

I don't have the link but the us army quarter master home page had a way to down load them. We did just that for our briefing slides.

Just google rigger wings and you'll get a plethora of jpg.s, mpeg.s etc.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

I never knew it wasn't official until 1986.

As stated in the QM Museum link, the original US Army Rigger wings, cloth sew-on type, were designed in the late 1940's. They existed in color (red/white/blue) and subdued (black/OD green) but were never officially approved for wear Army-wide. As with other local badges, local Commanders approved them for wear on the fatigue uniform and special head gear.

When I arrived at Ft. Bragg in 1984, we were allowed to wear the subdued Rigger wings sewn over the name tape on the right side of our BDUs and OG 107s. We were allowed to wear the color set on our red hats, which Riggers wore for identification on the flight line/rigging line (most of us wore them 90% of the time, the maroon beret worn the other 10%). Just about every Commanding General with Riggers under his command approved the wings for wear, so we did not have to take them off going to other installations. We were not allowed to wear any sort of Rigger wings on our Class A (dress green) uniform, however.

As stated, in 1986 the official wings were approved - small silver pin-on type for Class A's and the red hat, and a larger subdued set for the uniform. A subdued pin-on set is also available, now worn on the new ACU.

Funny - when they were finally approved in 1986, the Ft. Bragg military clothing sales store only stocked them 200 sets at a time. There were over three times that many Riggers on Ft. Bragg at the time, and each soldier had at least 6 sets of fatigues. Clothing sales was always out of stock, requiring soldiers to but theirs off-post at a much higher cost. I brought this up to the manager at the time, but she wanted nothing to do with me.
Arrive Safely

John

Nothing official about this. Just need a graphic representation. Or, if you have something else appropriate for the center graphic of a rigging continuing education certificate I'm open to suggestions. In the past we've had event artwork that I used. Do have it for this symposium.

thanks
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE