VincentVL.

Max. speed of relative wind

I was wondering how fas a plane can fly for one to still be able to dump out of it safely?

Don't get it? I understand. Here's an explanation.

Say you have a jet with a door in the back, like the perris jetplane. There's nothin to bump into. How fast is too fast for you to bail out without getting knocked unconscious or having your bones snapped by the relative wind? I'm just talking about jumping out of the plane. Obviously no immediate deployment planned. Alhough that would also be a possible deadly problem perhaps?

So...to recap. What's the maximum speed for a plane during bailout? edit. Come to thin of it, the biggest problem is probably gear issues right?

I was wondering how fas a plane can fly for one to still be able to dump out of it safely?

Say you have a jet with a door in the back, like the perris jetplane. There's nothin to bump into. How fast is too fast for you to bail out without getting knocked unconscious or having your bones snapped by the relative wind? I'm just talking about jumping out of the plane. Obviously no immediate deployment planned. Alhough that would also be a possible deadly problem perhaps?

So...to recap. What's the maximum speed for a plane during bailout?

Chuck Yeager is quoted as saying bailing out of a jet at super sonic, is just committing suicide to keep from getting killed in a plane crash! :D

Of course that was before we copied the Russian ejection seat system that has been proven at mach plus.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

So...to recap. What's the maximum speed for a plane during bailout? edit. Come to thin of it, the biggest problem is probably gear issues right?

I would think that the speed to actually crack bones based on impact pressure alone would be very high, the human body is built in a way that dispurses energy (through the skin / fat / muscles) before it gets to the bone.

Remember that directly behind the airplane the air is not traveling very fast, and it's also somewhat thinner as it tries to find normality again.

I think the major risk would be the breaking of limbs. Study could be put into finding the best way to exit and then go through transitions to slow the body and end up in an arch as fast as safely possible. I wonder what the best body position would be like... a cannonball? a tracking position? The tipical arch puts the arms at too much of a risk.. they would need to be tight against the body.
Matt Christenson

[email protected]
http://www.RealDropzone.com - A new breed of dropzone manifest software.

>What's the maximum speed for a plane during bailout?

Depends on the bailout system/type of exit. I've exited as fast as 205kts without problems. If you can exit in a sit (i.e. tail of a DC-9 or 727) you could probably get to 300kts IAS without physical injury - and if you have a system to protect you (like a pressure suit or an ejection seat) you could probably go significantly faster. Keep in mind that what you care about is indicated airspeed, NOT mach number. So at jet altitudes you could probably get out at high mach numbers (i.e. .8 mach) without too much trouble. Needless to say there are a lot of other issues at those altitudes (like breathing.)

>Come to thin of it, the biggest problem is probably gear issues right?

I suspect that wouldn't be the biggest problem. Most gear is pretty well protected nowadays. As long as you slow down to terminal, and wait until <10,000 feet to deploy (and as long as you properly configure your gear for high speed exits) you will probably fail before the gear will.

During WWII an awful lot of airmen baled out of high speed (but not supersonic) aircraft and survived.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Chuck Yeager is quoted as saying bailing out of a jet at super sonic, is just committing suicide to keep from getting killed in a plane crash! :D

Sort of. Very dangerous stuff.

Keep in mind folks, that high speed bail-outs in an ejection seat are quite different from what we do as skydivers.

In the old days pilots would get "flail" injuries, which means that arms and legs would be pulled out of their socket joints by the force of the wind.

Nowadays, an ejection seat has straps attached to the arms and legs of the pilots flight suit. When the eject handle is pulled, those straps retract and pull all his limbs back in tight against the seat to protect them from flail injuries. There can also be a curtain shield that comes down over the face.

But even with things like this, high speed bailouts still often result in injuries that end a flight career.

The type of aircraft that skydivers jump out of won't reach those kinds of speeds though, so it's not really an issue. However, if you were to do a bailout from a commercial airliner at 500 mph, you might have a problem...

There can also be a curtain shield that comes down over the face.

the F4 had this and I believe the 14 may have it too, it's connected to the rubber bailout handles at the top of the seat slightly behind the head, when the pilots would pull the handle they would pull them down in front of their face and hold them back, they would use the curtain to push their head against the seat to protect their neck, pretty neat idea.

History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

HEre.. some of the stuff we used to have to teach for bailouts back in the good old days....350 kts comes to mind..

http://showcase.netins.net/web/herker/ejection/bailouts.html

Notice the KC-135 drop ... woo hoo.. addendum.. toss out big bag of STUFF( A-3 bag with gear or flight manuals etc. to clean off the bottom of the aircraft of extraneous things like antenna's.