countzero

help- jump ideas to video with rental gear

my uncle is coming to visit in march and wants to see some video of me jumping. i am still renting gear and those rigs have the "student" AAD in them. so what jumps could i do that will be cool to video yet not be a safety issue with rental gear? i'd like to edit together 3 or 4 different jumps.
diamonds are a dawgs best friend

a hybrid is probably about as extreme as your going to be able to go on the student gear...

Maybe get some good shots of you exiting the plane, do a good clean hop & pop and have someone video it from exit to open... get some shots of you deploying, sniveling, and then opening under canopy. definately get some good landing footage. Maybe get a video of forming a 4-way round.

Just have some fun like normal... he's going to be impressed no matter what.

Check out www.skydivingmovies.com for ideas

-OR-

Check out my stuff:
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=1896501966
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=1675080755

A student Cypres differs from the 'speed' and 'expert' Cypres only in activation speed, not activation altitude. Just do what you've been taught to do and open containers by 3 for A!
--- and give them wings so they may fly free forever

DiverDriver in Training

A student Cypres differs from the 'speed' and 'expert' Cypres only in activation speed, not activation altitude. Just do what you've been taught to do and open containers by 3 for A!

There is a little difference in activation altitude, but just 250 feet. From the Cypres site

Student CYPRES "... However, should the rate of descent be lower than that of freefall but still above the limit of 29 mph (e.g. with partially opened canopy, or after a cutaway), then Student CYPRES activates the release unit when the altitude falls below approx. 1000 feet (approx. 300 meters) above ground level. "

Expert CYPRES "... It activates the release unit when it detects a rate of descent higher than 78 mph (35 m/sec) at an altitude of approx. 750 feet (approx. 225 meters) above ground level (AGL). "
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

If your uncle doesn't jump he won't know what's 'cool' and what isn't. To him, the fact that you're jumping out of an aeroplane and flying a parachute will be good fun to watch...

Really don't' try and push anything just for the camera - people get hurt doing that. Talk to a videot, tell them what you're after and see what they recommend.

As Kris said - I'd get some nice exit footage, some deployment stuff, a shot of you tracking into the sun is always nice, and some decent landings. If you can get a group of people geeking the camera in freefall, then that's just a bonus.

:)
Have fun!

To be strictly accurate, you are both slightly off. There is no difference between the freefall activation speed or altitude between the expert and student Cypres. The student cypres however has a split activation altitude so that if the student goes through 1000ft with a speed below freefall but above the activation speed of 29mph (partially opened canopy scenario) the student cypres will activate.

From the Cypres Manual:

The activation
altitude is split. In the case of rate of descent being equal to that of freefall the opening
altitude is at approx. 750 feet, being the same as with Expert CYPRES. However, should
the rate of descent be lower than that of freefall but still above the limit of 29mph (e.g. with
partially opened canopy), then Student CYPRES activates the EOS when the altitude
decreases below 1000 feet above ground level.

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.