skypimp.gzo

Tandem Master or Instructor?+ Where?

Hi everyone!
I have some lame questions.
In Germany it's called Tandem Master when you are taking Tandem students for a jump. Is that the same title in the States?
Do I get that right, that a Master is taking students for a jump and an instructor is able to do the tandem ratings or thats the examinor?
Well, you can see I'm a lil distracted here. :S

Anyway, I would like to become a tandem pilot this year and do all the ratings which are necessary.
I read already what the requirements are.
Can someone recommend a good dropzone?
I still have to do about 50 jumps so I would like to that in one step. Do the 50 jumps in 10 days and then start the rating.
I want to do it in the States. Somewhere in CA would be preferred, but any other place would do it too.
Thanks in advanced!:)Cheers and Blue Sky
Chris

I would suggest you talk to an examiner before deciding to jump into getting your tandem rating.

500 jumps is the minumim, but it doesn't mean you have to go for it when you hit 500. There is a lot that goes into jumping tandem, and it should not be taken lightly.

But it is called Tandem instructor as far as I know.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

I would suggest you talk to an examiner before deciding to jump into getting your tandem rating.

500 jumps is the minumim, but it doesn't mean you have to go for it when you hit 500. There is a lot that goes into jumping tandem, and it should not be taken lightly.

But it is called Tandem instructor as far as I know.

First of all = Thank you.

Yes, I know it's a big responsibility as soon as you have some cargo hanging in front of you.
I met people which are still worse than me after 1000 jumps and they are Tandem Master and doing a safe job. Don't get me wrong, but I think if some of them are able to do it....

I'm not looking at it like it's a holiday I want to become professional and a reliable Tandem master.

Do you have someone in mind I could contact?

cheers

First thing to learn and accept before even thinking of becoming a TI:
Change this

as you have some cargo hanging in front of you

attitude. I am serious. PERIOD!
The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666

In my experience hanging around dropzones, Tandem Master and Tandem Instructor are used interchangably in the US - I'm not sure what the official USPA titles are - but unofficially they're the same thing.

A Tandem Master gets their rating from the manufacturer and is limited to hauling tandem passengers on a first or subsequent freefall dives (Mule).

A Tandem Instructor has the Tandem Master rating from the manufacturer + goes through the USPA Tandem Instructor Course rating for addiitonal teaching priviledges within the ISP program.

See the USPA's IRM for details.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Tandem Master is the old-school term.

Tandem-Instructor ratings are issued by USPA.

Most new TIs attend a manufacturer's course and USPA's TI course the same week.

Tandem-Examiners are the senior, senior instructors (aka. Course Conductors) who train new TIs.

First thing to learn and accept before even thinking of becoming a TI:
Change this

as you have some cargo hanging in front of you

attitude. I am serious. PERIOD!

Good that you are such a serious person.
I guess it's a lot of fun to hang around with you.

No worries! I wont use this term on a passenger!
My attitude is fine, just tried to pass on what a lot of people think about Tandems. Tried to be funny, I guess it didn't work.

Anyway, thanks to all of you that was very helpful so far.