tombuch

New Advanced Canopy Training in 2005 SIM

Impressive. That’s the word I have for the new USPA Advanced Canopy Pilot section in the 2005 Skydiver Information Manual. The new SIM has a nine page section dedicated to this critical topic, as well as a proficiency card (bound in the back of the book) with targeted skill exercises.

The canopy skills outline should give canopy coaches and instructors a good foundation for designing a training program, and it should give every jumper a great overview of the topic.

The 2005 SIM is available and should be in S&TA mailboxes by now. If you don’t want to buy a copy, ask your S&TA to let you glance through his/her copy, or look at it on-line at http://www.uspa.org/publications/index.htm . The SIM is available for on-line review by section, or as a downloadable file.

The new Advanced Canopy Pilot component is section 6-11
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

Is that the big change? I wish the USPA had a list of alterations/additions from the 2004 one.

Tom Buchanan happens to be a well informed person who sincerely cares about this sport and the well being of all invovled, if you have a gripe take it
up with the USPA. 9 years, 47 exits ????

Tom Buchanan happens to be a well informed person who sincerely cares about this sport and the well being of all invovled, if you have a gripe take it
up with the USPA.

I asked a simple question. I'm not sure why you read it as a gripe or some sort of attack on Tom.

I printed out the 2004 SIM off the PDF. Thanks to Tom, I know to print out 6-11 and add it in, but am not sure what else. I started browsing through, but the sections I viewed seemed pretty identical.

Thanks to Tom, I know to print out 6-11 and add it in, but am not sure what else. I started browsing through, but the sections I viewed seemed pretty identical.

I haven't noticed anything else that is major, but I know there are many small corrections and clarifications. One change that I asked for is a clarification in the qualification for a PRO rating. I wanted it made clear that the ten jumps need to be declared individually, and that there can be "fun jumps" in the middle of the series that don't count toward the accuracy requirement. This change is reflected on page 159 of the 2005 SIM See (B)(d)(2), and is much appreciated.

The BSR relating to the minimum age for tandem jumps has been changed to match the age for other student jumps (page 6).

There are probably many other small changes throughout the book.

The Safety and Training department keeps a running list of problems in the SIM through the year and makes all the changes when the new edition is produced. You are correct that it would be helpful to have a list of updates in the front of the book. Perhaps you could send an email to USPA offering that suggestion.

As an S&TA and local USPA authority, I need to be able to answer questions based on the latest information, so I dispose of my old SIM and only work with the new one. That way I know I'm not missing some little point that might matter to a member/customer who is seeking a license or rating. I don't think there are any major "safety" issues that have changed, so if you are using the SIM for general information, the old one is probably fine.

One other thing I noticed is that there are new license tests included in the mailing to S&TA's. The "C" test now has 25 questions, up from 20. The SIM page for the study guide has been bumped back to page 223. That change is important to me because I have a web feature on The Ranch site that discusses exams, so I need to update that to reflect the new tests. It probably doesn't matter to the average member.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

Slightly off topic, Tom, but the last bit there needs repeating. Old tests are effectively obsolete now and USPA will not accept licence applications which include the wrong paperwork. All you chief instructors and S&TAs can save yourself and your jumpers much heartache by administering the correct test and sending in the proper paperwork. Once the A-card went in to effect in October 2001, many "resistant" dropzones got their paperwork kicked back because they continued to send in obsolete paperwork.

Chuck

The Safety and Training department keeps a running list of problems in the SIM through the year and makes all the changes when the new edition is produced. You are correct that it would be helpful to have a list of updates in the front of the book. Perhaps you could send an email to USPA offering that suggestion.

Prior to the summer meeting the S&T Comm. reviews a draft version with changes. At the summer meeting additional changes are often made. These additional changes are added via a motion.

This year we also informed the full BOD that an interim action would be made to adopt the new canopy section after the BOD meeting because we wanted to make corrections to section 6-11. The version we had at the meeting had some technical errors and had several parts that we did not add. Instead of being rushed at the meeting to correct 6-11, we took another week or so to rewrite what has been published.

There were many minor changes: typos, grammar etc.

You can see the minor change list as Motion 30 in the Summer 2004 Minutes. The action regarding Sec. 6-11 is in paragraph 7 in the S&T Comm. section. Happy reading!

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

Old tests are effectively obsolete now and USPA will not accept licence applications which include the wrong paperwork.

I am going to be taking my B written this weekend.. Shouldnt the 2005 test go in effect in 2005? Is the cutoff date documented somewhere? I just want to make sure I take the correct test.

Thanks for the heads up on this!

Blue, Blue and more Blue!
-Chad

You can see the minor change list as Motion 30 in the Summer 2004 Minutes. The action regarding Sec. 6-11 is in paragraph 7 in the S&T Comm. section. Happy reading!

Thanks to you and Tom. This is exactly what I need to revise my edition without the waste of reprinting the entire thing. For anyone else interested, load these minutes and proceed to page 20.