Jumpmunki

trip to florida, what will we need?

me and smellysue are looking to come to sebastian and the surrounding dropzones later in the year a couple of questions have sprung to mind

1)will we require aad's?

2)what is the minimum jump number or qualification to jump video over there?

3)will we be required to join the USPA (we are already members of the bpa and i hold an fai B licence (will be C by the time we get there)

4) what are the rules regarding freefly decents

5) what type of aircraft can we be expecting to be climbing out of at 13 grand?? B|

6) whats the night life out there like? any customs we should be aware of.

7) places, things, people to avoid (pm if you wish)

thats all i can think off for now

thanks for lookin :)

hmm.. not qualified to answer the jump type questions.. buuuuuutttttt.. bring:

Sunscreen (you poor poms will fry in the florida heat ;)) Shorts, and.. first time here? Beer ! Bring some Directors.. haven't had that in years B|

Who said Kiwis can't fly?

If you plan to drive over the speed limit, take a radar detector. The state must be making up for a budget shortfall.

Also there is a new law in Florida that where possible you must move over a lane when passing an emergency vehicle parked beside the road. The police have been known to park, for no reason, with their blue light on and wait for someone to pass without moving over!!!

Ed

1)will we require aad's?
Ask BendyWendy she runs manifest at Sebastian.

2)what is the minimum jump number or qualification to jump video over there?
Ditto

3)will we be required to join the USPA (we are already members of the bpa and i hold an fai B licence (will be C by the time we get there)
Yes you will need to join the USPA and you'll need to sign the DZ waiver which at Sebastian is couple of pages and a dozen copies of your signature.

Ditto

5) what type of aircraft can we be expecting to be climbing out of at 13 grand??
Umm at Sebastian they have a Caravan and you'll prolly be climbing out at 13:)
Away from the DZ at Sebastian, nice restaurants, a couple of bars, I haven't found any clubs. aka quiet. Same as any DZ bring beer or money for beer. On the chocolate front, US Cadburys don't taste the same as in the UK, so if your going to do any jumps with UK Coaches, XL, Chris Lynch or Rob Silver, or you want some leverage with manifest then chocolate. Also, they don't have Crunchies out there.

Don't know about places to avoid, but if your going to Florida, you HAVE to go to the tunnel.B| Arlo can help you with info there.

8)The reserve repack cycle in the US is shorter than in the UK, so make sure your freshly done before heading out, otherwise you might waste a day or so waiting on a repack.

Whatever you'll have a great time.:)

Jumpmunki

Most importantly you will require a credit card - in fact preferably 2 or 3, each with large credit limits. I suggest you apply for some new ones now.

You will then need a map to Skyventure - the vertical wind tunnel in Orlando, which is amazing. A couple of months later you may need an insolvency lawyer, might as well get that sorted now too.

Perhaps warning your friends and family that you may soon move to Florida, get a caravan on a DZ and become a packing bitch to fund your crack like addiction to freefall and sunshine - might also be a good idea. It's just inevitable you will consider this - DON'T worry it's normal.

;-)

In all seriousness though - you will need to sort out travel insurance that specifically states that it covers skydiving in the USA. I have a worldwide annual policy with http://www.axatravel.co.uk - and purchased it with an optional "Hazardous Activities" upgrade - which (or certainly when I got it) includes cover for skydiving.

I see you are from Peterlee .. never jumped there myself - I'm on the other coast across at Cark in Cumbria. However, I've been told Peterlee is a good DZ .. and very friendly so I will pay it a visit this summer.

Let me know when you are going to Florida .. I am going to be there last week in Feb and first couple of weeks in Mar - and also for about 8 weeks later on in the year. Could be a beer drinking opportunity.

blue skies

James

Xavenger credit cards are a big no no I got my self in to huge debt and no one is going to do that again in my family again..

so let me get this right jumpmunki and I need to

1. robb a Cadbury's factory! (to buy all the coachs with)

2. aquire a brewery from some were! (just to get you all drunk and then u'll give us your wisdom for free)

3. and take lots of sunblock (for jumpmunki, ohh not forgetting sunbed sessions before hand.....)

this sound like a doddle you make it harder for us!

But 1st and foremost I want to be quailified ive only got 3 jumps would be more if the weather wasnt so rubbish ove here!!
>:(

I can't wait to come over there and soak up all your sun and food..........

p.s whats the speed fine's over there like?
------------

I'm not sure about what you mean by "rules". At most of the dz's, freefliers go out behind RW largest to smallest groups. Leave good separation and most groups break off at 4500'. Most people I know open between 2500 and 3500. Did I answer the question?

5) what type of aircraft can we be expecting to be climbing out of at 13 grand??

In the various dz's there are mostly Caravans, Otters, Porters and Skyvans. We usually go to 13,500.

Most of the dz's are in sleepy little towns. You have to travel a bit to get to the good night life like Orlando and Daytona. I kinda like hanging around the bars at the dz's though, it's laid-back and relaxed. Real nice.

Go to Deland, Space Center, Sebastian, Lake Wales, Z-hills and the tunnel. They're all within a 2 hour drive at the most. You have the theme parks and the beaches and most Europeans like the shopping, especially in Orlando. There is an abundance of outlet shopping areas. My favorite part about FL are the springs. It's real nice to get an inner tube and float down the 72 degree springs when it gets real hot.

If you come later in the summer, be prepared for our typical afternoon thunderstorms. They usually roll in and out sometime between 2-4 pm. They're no big deal, you just have to wait a bit for them to pass. They rarely ruin an entire afternoon of jumping.

The only thing I can think of to avoid is the interstate I-4 during rush hour in the mornings. It can delay you quite a bit sometimes. So, if you were planning on going from say, Deland, to Z-hills one day, plan accordingly to avoid driving at those times. Oh, and along with sunscreen get bug spray during the warmer months. The mosquitoes come out at dusk.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Beware of where your standing during the dirt dive or camping. Some DZ's are infested with fire ants. And other nasty bugs and snakes.

Skydivers, booze and campfires can make people do stupid things. Like fall into the fire.

R.I.P.

sorry, I was slacking and didn't see this one!.

I can answer for Sebastian...

1. no
2. no minimum jump number
3. if you do not have valid 3rd party liability insurance that covers the us. BPA does not but most travel insurance does. if you don't have it you can get a $15.00 temporary membership
4. what rules - it's freeflying - don't be stupid and don't kill anyone!
5. depends when you are coming and how busy it is - we jump a Super Otter, Grand Caravan and sometimes like this week a SkyVan. Fridays are $15.00 to 15,000 feet.
6. The town itself is quiet. We have a nice tropical island kind of bar in town that a lot of skydivers go to on the weekends for rumrunners, dinner and to listen to the bands (sometimes good, sometimes bad). A local pool bar - I don't go there but some people like it. We are only an hour and half from either Orlando or West Palm if you actually want to go clubbing.
7. Don't play with poisonous snakes (I just found a coral snake in my yard - yes, it was the coral snake not the non-poisonous look alike). Stay out of the ditch (the official beer line - it's often muddy). I can think of lots of people you should avoid but it's so much more fun to let people discover that on their own!

cheers bendy sounds like it's going to be a scream we'll see you there on november 13th! staying for 2 weeks. might have trouble getting transport due to our age (21 and 23)

we're wanting to stay in a posh (ish) hotel with the creature comforts and some luxurys but we'll deffo need a car of some sort. any info available on car hire or similar? don't fancy having to call a cab everyday (could work out pricey) or walk with all them snakes around :)

trip to florida, what will we need?

Umm, everything you own, so when you decide that you're not going to leave, you won't have to go all the way back to Europe to get your stuff. ;)

-Kramer

The FAKE KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!!!!!!!!!

Cheers wendy that would be a great help I couldnt say who's driving it'll prob be Jumpmunki as he's still not used to my driving after 2 years i think it scares him.........
;)

if it helps we both have a clean bill of insureance (no claims.)

Cheers in advance Sue and Jumpmunki.

Wen I went to Australia, Spain and Greece we were not allowed any food and they check your case when they scan it. Incase theres food in it as food can contain any thing virouses and alsorts of not nice stuff that the gouvernment and Mr Bush dont want in his country as well as the unmentionalbe....

(This was when I was a wee tot apart from Greece which was just as I met jumpmunki and ended up been a very expencisve hol as i my phone bill was £400 note to slef never leave a loved one and go on hol..)

pls back me up as my beloved jumpmunki is trying to buy cadburys out of a factory....

:S